Through the Years: Springdale puts end to losing streak in 1993
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Springdale ended its 35-game losing streak, one away from the WPIAL record at the time, with a 12-6 home victory over Leechburg on Oct. 22, 1993. Billy DePew returned a fumble recovery 95 yards for a score and intercepted a fourth quarter pass to preserve the victory.
Five years ago
• Highlands clinched the Greater Allegheny Conference title with a 35-18 victory at Knoch. Touchdown runs of 74 and 26 yards in the third quarter by Billy Devlin lifted the Golden Rams.
• Junior Andrew Teosky scored five touchdowns as Freeport manhandled Deer Lakes, 63-7. The Yellowjackets limited the Lancers to 16 rushing yards.
10 years ago
• Springdale coach Chuck Wagner won his 200th game as the Dynamos blanked Clairton, 28-0. Mike Landers scored a pair of Springdale touchdowns while many of Wagner's former players watched from the stands.
• Burrell tailback Tyler Henderson scored three touchdowns, including the game-winner with 1:19 to play, as the Bucs defeated Apollo-Ridge, 26-22.
20 years ago
• Legendary coach Dick Dilts announced his retirement in his 34th coaching season — 31 at Kiski Area. Twenty years later, Dilts remains the 11th winningest coach in WPIAL history with 234 victories.
25 years ago
• A 12-yard pass from Apollo-Ridge quarterback Greg Fox to Bruce Yard proved to be the game's only score as the Vikings edged Riverview, 7-0.
• Valley's Carl ‘Dwayne' Johnson scored on runs of 65 and 58 yards as the Vikings defeated Deer Lakes, 28-6.
30 years ago
• Plum's Paul Palamara enjoyed his switch from fullback to tailback by carrying 22 times for 138 yards as the Mustangs polished off Laurel Highlands, 22-0.
• Kittanning's Doug Emminger intercepted three pases and recovered a fumble as the Wildcats took the measure of Swissvale, 27-19.
40 years ago
• Sam Knoch, who played for Deer Lakes and not Knoch, ran for a 12-yard touchdown on the first play of the fourth quarter to give the Lancers a 16-6 win over Riverview.
• Randy Tira, the A-K Valley's leading scorer, tallied a fourth quarter touchdown to pace the Blue Devils to a 20-8 victory over Ford City.
50 years ago
• Har-Brack's Tim Karrs threw touchdown passes of 56 and 51 yards as the Tigers turned back rival Ken High, 20-14, before a capacity crowd in Natrona Heifghts.
• Arnold's Dave Olivo scored on a 15-yard quarterback Fkeeper with 45 seconds left in the game as Arnold got by Oakmont, 13-6.
75 years ago
• After playing exclusively away games for four years, Leechburg dedicated its new Welfare Grounds Field with a 7-6 victory over Apollo. Tony Vota scored the touchdown for Leechburg, then known as the Blue Wave.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense
- South Fayette, Karns City set for rematch in PIAA quarterfinals
- PIAA quarterfinalists Central Valley, Conneaut sharing success after mergers
- Pine-Richland’s ‘Neil’ the ram has happy home
- WPIAL Class AA semifinal capsule: South Fayette vs. Seton-La Salle
- Thomas Jefferson gridders post 3rd straight 11-1 record
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- WPIAL Class A notebook: Clairton climbs all-time title list
- Scoring record within reach for Clairton