Through the Years: Springdale puts end to losing streak in 1993
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Springdale ended its 35-game losing streak, one away from the WPIAL record at the time, with a 12-6 home victory over Leechburg on Oct. 22, 1993. Billy DePew returned a fumble recovery 95 yards for a score and intercepted a fourth quarter pass to preserve the victory.
Five years ago
• Highlands clinched the Greater Allegheny Conference title with a 35-18 victory at Knoch. Touchdown runs of 74 and 26 yards in the third quarter by Billy Devlin lifted the Golden Rams.
• Junior Andrew Teosky scored five touchdowns as Freeport manhandled Deer Lakes, 63-7. The Yellowjackets limited the Lancers to 16 rushing yards.
10 years ago
• Springdale coach Chuck Wagner won his 200th game as the Dynamos blanked Clairton, 28-0. Mike Landers scored a pair of Springdale touchdowns while many of Wagner's former players watched from the stands.
• Burrell tailback Tyler Henderson scored three touchdowns, including the game-winner with 1:19 to play, as the Bucs defeated Apollo-Ridge, 26-22.
20 years ago
• Legendary coach Dick Dilts announced his retirement in his 34th coaching season — 31 at Kiski Area. Twenty years later, Dilts remains the 11th winningest coach in WPIAL history with 234 victories.
25 years ago
• A 12-yard pass from Apollo-Ridge quarterback Greg Fox to Bruce Yard proved to be the game's only score as the Vikings edged Riverview, 7-0.
• Valley's Carl ‘Dwayne' Johnson scored on runs of 65 and 58 yards as the Vikings defeated Deer Lakes, 28-6.
30 years ago
• Plum's Paul Palamara enjoyed his switch from fullback to tailback by carrying 22 times for 138 yards as the Mustangs polished off Laurel Highlands, 22-0.
• Kittanning's Doug Emminger intercepted three pases and recovered a fumble as the Wildcats took the measure of Swissvale, 27-19.
40 years ago
• Sam Knoch, who played for Deer Lakes and not Knoch, ran for a 12-yard touchdown on the first play of the fourth quarter to give the Lancers a 16-6 win over Riverview.
• Randy Tira, the A-K Valley's leading scorer, tallied a fourth quarter touchdown to pace the Blue Devils to a 20-8 victory over Ford City.
50 years ago
• Har-Brack's Tim Karrs threw touchdown passes of 56 and 51 yards as the Tigers turned back rival Ken High, 20-14, before a capacity crowd in Natrona Heifghts.
• Arnold's Dave Olivo scored on a 15-yard quarterback Fkeeper with 45 seconds left in the game as Arnold got by Oakmont, 13-6.
75 years ago
• After playing exclusively away games for four years, Leechburg dedicated its new Welfare Grounds Field with a 7-6 victory over Apollo. Tony Vota scored the touchdown for Leechburg, then known as the Blue Wave.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- South Fayette extends winning streak in dominating fashion
- High school roundup: No. 3 Pine-Richland holds off Seneca Valley
- Freeport takes chances, cashes in during shutout of Highlands
- BVA takes advantage of Ringgold mistakes
- Clairton uses big second half, key turnover to pull away from Jeannette
- Penn-Trafford QB Laffoon sets career TD pass mark in rout of Hempfield
- Mt. Lebanon still unbeaten after 98-yard INT return sparks rally vs. Bethel Park
- Belle Vernon tops Ringgold in battle of unbeatens
- Offensive spurt lifts Burrell past Sto-Rox
- Norwin takes control in 2nd half, upends Kiski Area
- Valley relies on run game to avenge last year’s loss to West Shamokin