High school roundup: West Shamokin just 1 win from 1st playoff berth
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Shamokin, which had just 16 wins in its 10-year history before this season, moved to the brink of its first WPIAL playoff berth with a 27-8 victory over Wilkinsburg (2-4, 2-4) Saturday afternoon at Graham Field.
The Wolves (4-2, 4-2) need one more Class A Eastern Conference victory or a Springdale loss to earn their first playoff trip. Zac Horner ran for 103 yards and Jarret Kintz intercepted two passes, including one for a 67-yard scoring return. Ryan Cox had 93 yards passing and a rushing touchdown for the Tigers.
Ambridge 45, Hopewell 13 — Three different players rushed for two touchdowns to lead Ambridge (1-5, 1-4) past Hopewell (0-6, 0-6) in the Class AAA Parkway Conference. Stephon McGinnis ran for 215 yards and Kody Nichi rushed for 108, both scoring twice, and Khalil Harvey added another two scores on the ground. DiMontae Bronaugh gained 101 yards on the ground and scored once for the Vikings.
Hopewell 8, New Brighton 0 — Trevor Palocsik netted a hat trick and Devin Wayne added two goals in a Section 4-AA victory for Hopewell (6-7, 6-4).
Serra Catholic 7, Chartiers-Houston 0 — Leslie Hoye recorded a hat trick while Megan Seig and Lauren Cerweinz added two each to help Serra Catholic (10-4, 6-4) to a Section 2-A win that clinched a playoff berth.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Central Catholic’s Joseph commits to PSU
- Monessen’s Rullo tabbed Player of Week
- Laffoon maturing in 2nd season as Penn-Trafford quarterback
- Valley keeps McGrath in check to key win over Deer Lakes
- Previewing some of the top Week 5 matchups in Western Pennsylvania
- Statewide HSFB notebook: Jersey Shore wins on controversial finish
- High school roundup: Highlands edges Apollo-Ridge in Allegheny
- Highlands wins thriller over Apollo-Ridge
- ‘Miracle’ Highlands-Apollo Ridge game leaves lasting impression
- Seneca Valley sticking together through slow start
- Pine-Richland finally breaks through vs. North Hills