The Birdie sets the table for Week 8
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Birdie attended a potluck luncheon in the office last week.
(The Alle-Kiski's high school football forecaster never passes up free food).
He brought gummy worms and some plasticware that had piled up in his desk drawer.
The meal got him thinking about the word potluck and its meaning.
“Googled it and it basically means people bringing different things to the table,” Birdie said.
And that got his tiny bird brain churning about the Valley-Kittanning game and what each team ... well ... brings to the table.
“What a matchup,” Birdie said. “Can't say I saw this one coming before the season, but boy am I glad it's here. Both teams bring big-play offenses, but both also have allowed a lot of points lately.
“This one will have some serious scoring. I'm setting the over-under at 105.”
And on an unrelated topic — but a reference to his column from last week — Birdie still wants to see a live animal mascot in the A-K Valley.
“How about a real, sly Fox at Fox Chapel? Or a trotting, purple pony at Plum, Wizard of Oz style,” Birdie said. “I remember when Highlands tried this a few years ago. They had a long-haired male goat named ‘Nasty Ned.' He was dirty. Yeah, I know, so am I, but they'll never take me away on a leash.”
Valley (5-2, 4-2) at Kittanning (7-0, 6-0)
It will be like a tennis match, back and forth.
Butler (1-6, 1-4) at Fox Chapel (1-6, 1-4)
The Butler doesn't do it.
Fox Chapel, 21-14
Kiski Area (4-3, 4-2) at McKeesport (7-0, 6-0)
Another brutal conference test.
Upper St. Clair (7-0, 6-0) at Plum (0-7, 0-7)
Plum might rather play USC, as in the college team.
Upper St. Clair, 35-6
Knoch (3-4, 2-4) at Indiana (2-5, 2-4)
The Knights get a big road win.
Ringgold (5-2) at Highlands (6-1)
Playoff atmosphere here.
Burrell (3-4, 2-4) at East Allegheny (3-4, 3-4)
EA gets the nod at home.
East Allegheny, 22-15
Deer Lakes (0-7, 0-6) at Ford City (2-5, 1-5)
Ford City should have enough.
Ford City, 20-14
Freeport (2-5) at
Look away Freeport fans.
Leechburg (2-5, 2-4) at West Shamokin (5-2, 4-2)
This used to be a pick ‘em.
West Shamokin, 26-15
Springdale (2-5, 2-4) at Northgate (1-6, 1-5)
Springdale needs a ‘W.'
Apollo-Ridge (5-2, 4-2) at Riverview (1-6, 1-5)
A-R is undefeated on Saturdays.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pine-Richland hopes to avoid ‘drop off’ against State College
- South Fayette, Karns City set for rematch in PIAA quarterfinals
- Scoring record within reach for Clairton
- PIAA quarterfinalists Central Valley, Conneaut sharing success after mergers
- Through the years: A look at final games of A-K Valley schools
- Central Valley beats rival West Allegheny to win WPIAL Class AAA championship
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- Penn Hills relishes conference title, reflects on season
- Law makes Big Nine first team — on defense
- South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title