Geibel forfeits final regular-season game
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Geibel football team forfeits finale
The Geibel football team will forfeit its last game of the season to Jefferson-Morgan. The game, originally scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at Geibel, will not be played due to a lack of healthy players on Geibel's roster.
“We were given a directive by the WPIAL to let Jefferson-Morgan know on Friday, and at that time, we only had 12 healthy players,” Geibel athletic director Shawn Holup said.
The Gators (0-8) also forfeited to Beth-Center in Week 2 and to West Greene in Week 8.
• The WPIAL on Monday released the brackets for the upcoming girls volleyball playoffs. In Class AAA, Connellsville will open the postseason with a match at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday against host Shaler. The Falcons qualified for the playoffs as the third-place team in Section 2-AAA. The Titans are the champions of Section 4-AAA. In Class A, Frazier will play Carlynton in a first-round match at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Canon-McMillan. The Commodores won this year's Section 5-A title, while Carlynton finished as the third-place team in Section 6-A. Geibel will begin the playoffs with a preliminary-round match at 6 p.m. Tuesday against Laurel at North Allegheny. The Gators finished as the second-place team in Section 5-A. Laurel is the third-place team from Section 3-A. The winner between Geibel and Laurel will play second-seeded Greensburg Central Catholic at 6 p.m. Thursday at Freeport.
— Jason Black
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL, coaches are still looking to schedule Week 9 rivalry games
- Ford City, Kittanning matchup to be part of SI.com’s ‘Underdogs’
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top Week 9 matchups
- Gorman: A WPIAL playoff drought about to end
- The Leader eager for Kittanning finale
- Heavyweights West Allegheny, Central Valley meet in test for Parkway
- Now in Class A, rivals GCC, Jeannette to battle for 2nd place in Eastern Conference
- High school football notebook: WPIAL might welcome another team next year
- Leader Times Q&A: Redbank Valley’s Wyatt Hetrick
- Skiles has Bentworth headed in right direction
- Connellsville focuses on nailing down playoff berth