Mt. Pleasant, Frazier learn opening-round opponents
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Mt. Pleasant and Frazier football teams each will open the playoffs Friday night.
The WPIAL released its much-anticipated playoff brackets Monday.
The Vikings (9-0) finished as champions of the Class AA Interstate Conference and will start the postseason with a home game against Valley (6-3). Mt. Pleasant is seeded fourth in Class AA. Valley is seeded 13th and is the third-place team from the Allegheny Conference. Aliquippa received the top seed in Class AA.
Unlike Mt. Pleasant, Frazier will open the playoffs on the road. The Commodores (7-2) are the third-place team from the Tri-County South Conference in Class A. Frazier earned the 13th seed and will play fourth-seeded Clairton (8-1) at Neil Brown Stadium in Clairton.
The teams also met in the first round of the playoffs last year, with Clairton winning, 58-6, at Belle Vernon. The Bears, the five-time defending WPIAL champion, had a nation's best 66-game winning streak broken this year. Sto-Rox received the top seed in Class A.
Upper St. Clair and West Allegheny are the top seeded teams in Class AAAA and Class AAA, respectively. All first-round playoff games begin at 7:30 p.m.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Led by Whitehead’s 4 TDs, Central Valley cruises into PIAA semifinals
- Williams tosses 6 TDs as Clairton sets state scoring record
- South Fayette wins 30th in a row, moves closer to title defense
- Pine-Richland hopes to avoid ‘drop off’ against State College
- Through the years: A look at final games of A-K Valley schools
- Gorman: Clairton QB delivers on dream
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense