Mt. Pleasant, Frazier learn opening-round opponents
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Mt. Pleasant and Frazier football teams each will open the playoffs Friday night.
The WPIAL released its much-anticipated playoff brackets Monday.
The Vikings (9-0) finished as champions of the Class AA Interstate Conference and will start the postseason with a home game against Valley (6-3). Mt. Pleasant is seeded fourth in Class AA. Valley is seeded 13th and is the third-place team from the Allegheny Conference. Aliquippa received the top seed in Class AA.
Unlike Mt. Pleasant, Frazier will open the playoffs on the road. The Commodores (7-2) are the third-place team from the Tri-County South Conference in Class A. Frazier earned the 13th seed and will play fourth-seeded Clairton (8-1) at Neil Brown Stadium in Clairton.
The teams also met in the first round of the playoffs last year, with Clairton winning, 58-6, at Belle Vernon. The Bears, the five-time defending WPIAL champion, had a nation's best 66-game winning streak broken this year. Sto-Rox received the top seed in Class A.
Upper St. Clair and West Allegheny are the top seeded teams in Class AAAA and Class AAA, respectively. All first-round playoff games begin at 7:30 p.m.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- Jackson brothers lead way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut over Ford City
- Wilkinsburg holds off Leechburg
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’
- Frazier’s Ross is Player of the Week
- Quaker Valley football team looks to overcome injuries
- H.S. Picks ‘tunes’ up for new season
- Valley edges emotional Burrell team on OT field goal
- Team effort pushes Penn-Trafford past Kiski Area
- Tipton accounts for 4 TDs in Apollo-Ridge’s 41-21 victory over West Shamokin