DC Picks ready for playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Last week: 4-1
After nine weeks of regular season football, it's playoff time. DC Picks, like so many others, can't wait to see the best of the best compete in the WPIAL postseason. Of course, some teams will be playing an exhibition game this week, which means that teams like the Scotties and Mustangs have a chance to finish the season on a winning note. Here are the picks for Week 10:
Valley (6-3) at Mt. Pleasant (9-0)
After a spectacular regular season, Mt. Pleasant is primed for a deep playoff run. DC Picks expected Mt. Pleasant to dominate during the regular season, and he expects that dominance to continue in the first round of the playoffs. DC Picks believes that Valley is a very good football team. However, this game is at Mt. Pleasant and you can bet that the Mt. Pleasant fans will be ready to rock. Mt. Pleasant will be focused on coming out and making a statement to all the other playoff teams in Class AA and DC Picks fully expects to see Mt. Pleasant advance to the quarterfinals.
Mt. Pleasant, 30-14
Frazier (7-2) at Clairton (8-1)
The last time that Frazier and Clairton met, it wasn't a good result for the Commodores. This will be the second year in a row that the two teams have clashed in the first round of the WPIAL Class A playoffs, and DC Picks expects this game to be much closer than the 58-6 Clairton victory in 2012. Frazier has had a solid season and the Commodores could be in position to knock off the defending state champion Bears. However, Clairton knows what it takes to win in the postseason, and even though this game will be much closer than last year's contest, Clairton still comes out on top.
Southmoreland (3-6) at Derry (0-9)
The Scotties were hoping that this game would give them a chance to finish at .500 for the season. Unfortunately for the Scotties, last week's loss to Yough means that they'll max out at four wins. But four wins isn't too shabby considering the quality of teams in the Interstate Conference and the fact that this was the first year under the direction of new coach Mark Adams. Despite last week's loss, Adams led the Scotties to a strong finish after a rough start, and the Scotties will conclude the 2013 campaign with a convincing victory.
Laurel Highlands (1-8) at McGuffey (4-5)
It's been a rough season for the Mustangs, but Laurel Highlands has battled hard and will try to finish the year on a positive note. However, DC Picks doesn't think that beating the Highlanders will be an easy task. McGuffey has played well down the stretch and would like nothing more than to avoid a losing season and finish .500. Picking up a fifth win is a distinct possibility for the Highlanders, and DC Picks believes it will become a reality.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- West Mifflin will enter season without bona fide No. 1 running back
- Leechburg’s Burtick, Knapp developing rapport in passing game
- Knoch tailbacks look to ‘take it and run with it’ in battle for No. 5 jersey
- HSFB preview: New coaches set to lead teams to victory
- Birdie says heat is on for another season of football picks
- Uniontown’s Washington poised to have breakout season
- Kiski Area leaders provide silver lining after winless season
- Class AAAA breakdown: Wealth of talent places target on Central Catholic
- Gorman: Don’t judge WPIAL by the cover
- Kiski Area’s Clayton eager to take on greater role on offense as senior
- HSFB preview by position: Plenty of Division I talent on area offensive lines