Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Sto-Rox could halt Clairton's five-year reign as Class A champion. The Vikings are led by senior QB Lenny Williams, the WPIAL's career passing leader who has thrown for 1,855 yards and 28 touchdowns this season.
Challengers: Clairton, Fort Cherry and Monessen tied atop the Black Hills, but Clairton has the best playoff pedigree; the Bears won the past four state titles. North Catholic escaped the Eastern Conference unbeaten with close victories over Apollo-Ridge (22-21) and Avonworth (21-12). Neshannock's only losses were at Sto-Rox (34-31) and at North Catholic (21-14). Beth-Center went undefeated but still must prove itself after a weak schedule and will be tested by No. 9 Apollo-Ridge in the first round.
Don't overlook: Avonworth allowed just 67 points in nine games. The 7.4 points-per-week average was best in Class A.
Prediction: Sto-Rox over North Catholic
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frazier’s Ross is Player of the Week
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- Previewing Week 1 high school football matchups
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’
- H.S. Picks ‘tunes’ up for new season
- Valley edges emotional Burrell team on OT field goal
- Belle Vernon Area trounces Trinity in Humbert’s debut
- Valley Independent roundup: Yough, Elizabeth Forward, Bentworth fall
- Through the years: Heard’s TD capped Valley rally
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win