Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Sto-Rox could halt Clairton's five-year reign as Class A champion. The Vikings are led by senior QB Lenny Williams, the WPIAL's career passing leader who has thrown for 1,855 yards and 28 touchdowns this season.
Challengers: Clairton, Fort Cherry and Monessen tied atop the Black Hills, but Clairton has the best playoff pedigree; the Bears won the past four state titles. North Catholic escaped the Eastern Conference unbeaten with close victories over Apollo-Ridge (22-21) and Avonworth (21-12). Neshannock's only losses were at Sto-Rox (34-31) and at North Catholic (21-14). Beth-Center went undefeated but still must prove itself after a weak schedule and will be tested by No. 9 Apollo-Ridge in the first round.
Don't overlook: Avonworth allowed just 67 points in nine games. The 7.4 points-per-week average was best in Class A.
Prediction: Sto-Rox over North Catholic
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- Clairton gets revenge for streak stopper
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top matchups for Week 8
- High school football roundup: Fulmore hits career milestone for CWNC
- Hectic week ahead for WPIAL student-athletes
- Pine-Richland knocks off No. 1 Central Catholic, takes conference title
- Apollo-Ridge offense earns rest period against Deer Lakes
- South Fayette offense rolls past Seton-La Salle