Breaking down the WPIAL Class AA football playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Aliquippa could win a third consecutive title behind RB/DBs Dravon Henry and Terry Swanson, who have 1,900 rushing yards.
Challengers: Behind 1,900-yard passer Brett Brumbaugh and Penn WR recruit Justin Watson, South Fayette has the highest-scoring offense in the WPIAL (49.9 ppg). Beaver Falls' only loss included a disputed TD to Aliquippa in Week 8 (34-28). Mt. Pleasant RB Tyler Mellors ranks seventh with 1,370 yards. Kittanning finished unbeaten after a 28-27 victory over Shady Side Academy. Quaker Valley's only conference loss was to South Fayette.
Don't overlook: Washington lost its star RB to injury, fought two eligibility cases and needed PIAA help to enter the playoffs. Yet its only on-field loss was to Mt. Pleasant.
Prediction: Aliquippa over South Fayette
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Pittsburgh Regatta will go on without boats, water events
- Rescuers use hoist to lift horse from Washington County sinkhole
- FBI questions Allentown mayor, seizes contract documents
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- Hempfield woman seriously injured in crash
- LaBar: What’s killing professional wrestling
- Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Young Nebraska girl’s organs give 2 Pittsburgh-area boys a chance to live