Breaking down the WPIAL Class AAAA football playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Central Catholic has shut out six of nine opponents and leads Quad-A in scoring (45.0 ppg) with QB J.J. Cosentino, a Florida State recruit.
Challengers: Upper St. Clair, runner-up in 2012, has a defense with six shutouts and Pitt recruit Rori Blair at DE. QB David Queen and FB Mikell Moore have revived McKeesport's option offense with 24 TDs. Woodland Hills has won seven straight since losses to USC and McKeesport the first two weeks of the season. Seneca Valley's only loss was to Central Catholic (42-0). North Allegheny is the three-time defending champion but will face No. 8 Bethel Park in the first round on the road. No. 6 Penn-Trafford defeated Gateway and Hempfield the past two weeks.
Don't overlook: Gateway has elite players with at least five Division I recruits, but that talent hasn't always led to wins.
Prediction: Central Catholic over USC
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Previewing Week 1 high school football matchups
- High school football notebook: Summer heat possible for season’s first week
- High school football teams ready to start 2014 season
- Sophomore RB Coxon leads Plum to lopsided win
- Penn Hills takes advantage of turnovers, routs Upper St. Clair
- H.S. Picks ‘tunes’ up for new season
- Jackson brothers lead way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut over Ford City
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Tipton accounts for 4 TDs in Apollo-Ridge’s 41-21 victory over West Shamokin
- McKeesport’s Hudson sets career high in rout of Connellsville
- Belle Vernon Area trounces Trinity in Humbert’s debut