Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Q&A: Hampton's Eddie Edwards
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Eddie Edwards knows his next football game could be his last. Not only does Hampton (4-5) play No. 2 seed Thomas Jefferson (9-0) in the WPIAL Class AAA first round, but the 5-foot-11, 170-pound senior made a commitment last month to play baseball at the University of Buffalo. A four-year starter at wide receiver, Edwards has 31 receptions for 562 yards and eight touchdowns this season for the Talbots.Q: Was it difficult to pick baseball over football?
A: It's tough. I love football. I've been playing since midgets. I'll miss it a lot but I'm looking forward to a new chapter, especially in baseball. I think I have a bigger and better future in baseball. You're going through a grind every day in football, to bring a toughness to practice. That takes a toll on your body.
Q: What was it like to find out you made the playoffs?
A: When we lost at Mars we thought that might be our last game. We were counting on making the playoffs, and I'm glad we did. Having that extra week to play one more time, to play a quality team like TJ, is all you can ask for: To have one more shot to play with my friends, guys I've been playing with for eight years. It's going to be tough, emotional afterward if we don't win, but it's been a good ride.
Q: How hard was it to find out that the Luther twins weren't playing football to focus on basketball?
A: That was a bit of a curveball thrown at us. Ryan could have potentially been our starting quarterback, and Collin played receiver for us. We understood where they were coming from. We all knew it was probably going to happen. We probably would have made the same decision. It hurts our depth but we overcame that and succeeded anyway. We managed to do it without them.
Q: Are there any perks to having a father, Eddie Jr., who is an NFL agent?
A: Occasionally, he takes me to NFL games and lets me watch him do his work with contracts and stuff. On the attorney side, I've learned a lot from him. I want to study business law, so I can follow in his footsteps.
Q: Do you have a nickname?
A: People used to call me E3 because I'm Eddie III. My family calls me E-Hostile sometimes because I'm in a serious mood all the time. My friends call me E-Swag or E-Thrill. Actually, the E-Thrill came from one of my dad's friends. He saw me score three touchdowns in a midget game and called me E-Thrill instead.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Springdale sets tone early, routs Riverview
- North Allegheny’s defense shuts down North Hills, 31-7
- WPIAL football playoff clinchings
- Valley, Freeport provide special moment for Clarke in regular-season finale
- Kittanning routs Ford City in rivalry’s final game
- Jeannette rolls past rival Greensburg Central Catholic
- Central Valley gains measure of revenge on No. 1 West Allegheny
- Serra Catholic snaps 28-game losing streak with 38-36 victory over Wilkinsburg
- High school roundup: Mars upsets No. 4 Hampton in GAC
- Charleroi can’t overcome 28-0 hole in loss to Freedom
- Valley Independent roundup: Ringgold has a ‘Berry’ good night