Daily News Q&A: McKeesport's Mikell Moore
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Atop the leaderboard of what amounts to a very balanced rushing attack at McKeesport, fullback Mikell Moore is the featured attraction. The burly 6-foot-1, 215-pound senior leads the undefeated Tigers' punishing ground game with a modest 700 yards, or 77.7 yards per game.
And, he does it with a certain flair.
“There's no days off,” Moore said, hedging slightly for emphasis. “There's no days off, except Sundays, of course.”
Moore has been a reliable option in coach George Smith's complex, confounding flexbone offense, a quiet and constant force. He's been at work preparing to help lead the third-seeded Tigers (9-0) into the WPIAL Class AAAA playoffs with a first-round game on Friday night against visiting Peters Township (5-4), the 14th seed.
With Moore & Co. netting huge gains, McKeesport has attempted just 15 passes, with only one going for a touchdown.Q: In a word, can you describe your senior season so far?
Q: With Coach Smith back with the program, what's been the biggest difference in your routine this season?
A: It's been more physical stuff and more hitting. We're lifting weights more and basically lifting as a team, even after practices. We're just working harder.
Q: What been your most memorable moment during the regular season?
A: I would say the Woody High game (33-20 victory), because I have a lot of family from Woodland Hills. When we played them, I knew I was going to hear it. I had to prove that we were working hard.
Q: What are your plans after hi gh school?
A: I plan to attend a four-year college. I would like to start (in football), but it's OK if i get redshirted.
Q: Who's made the most impact in your life?
A: I would say our coach, From last year, he has helped our season and basically taught us how to run the flexbone the right way. He's an awesome guy.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fox Chapel football putting in preseason work
- Shady Side Academy football prepares for upcoming season
- Latrobe freshman selected to USA Football event
- Benefits abound during 7-on-7 passing workouts
- Steel Valley players benefit from trip to NFL 7 on 7 event
- Former Butler, PSU LB sharing insights with young players
- Heinauer sees benefits for Mars from 7-on-7 scrimmages
- Franklin Regional, Norwin, Penn-Trafford compete at annual WCCA 7-on-7 tournament
- Penn-Trafford wins WCCA 7 on 7 tournament title