Through the Years: Shutout win moved Plum toward WPIAL title
Each Friday during high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.•
Plum took what would be its first step toward a WPIAL title on Nov. 11, 1983, with a 38-0 victory over Ringgold at Mustangs Stadium. Paul Palamara rushed for 204 yards and three touchdowns for coach Al “Abby” Mauro's Mustangs.
Five years ago
• In a Class AAA thriller, Highlands blew a 20-point, second-half lead against Montour to send the game into overtime. But after quarterback Jeff Sinclair scored in the extra session, the Golden Rams rebuffed a 2-point conversion to win, 35-34, at Plum.
• Beaver Falls scored four times on plays 30 yards or longer to down Ford City, 42-21, in a Class AA quarterfinal. Caleb Barrett scored two Sabers touchdowns.
10 years ago
• Springdale bowled over No 1 Monessen, 23-7, in a Class A quarterfinal at Yough's Cougar Mountain Stadium. Dynamos running backs Wayne Mundekis and Mike Landers combined to rush for 233 yards.
• In what turned out to be the last game of coach Tim Karrs' tenure at Highlands, the Golden Rams were humbled by Pine-Richland, 51-16, at Slippery Rock University. Current Pirates second baseman Neil Walker scored three Rams touchdowns. Karrs left several months later to take a coaching job in North Carolina.
20 years ago
• Retiring Kiski Area coach Dick Dilts went out a winner with a 7-0 Cavaliers win over Franklin Regional. The Cavaliers staged a 15-play, 71-yard drive culminated by a 6-yard pass from Jason Clouser to Tim Brestensky.
• Mt. Pleasant eliminated Kittanning, 18-7, in first-round playoff action. Dwayne Eddy's 6-yard pass to Jon Harnish was the only Wildcats score.
25 years ago
• In a rainstorm at Santacroce Stadium, Richland denied Apollo-Ridge its first playoff berth with a 21-14 victory. Vikings quarterback Greg Fox threw a touchdown pass and scored another on a 45-yard return of a blocked punt.
• Beaver came from behind to defeat Valley, 13-6, in a Class AA playoff game. A 61-yard pass from Danny Hooper to Carl Johnson had given the Vikings a 6-0 lead.
30 years ago
• With 3 inches of snow on the ground and the wind chill hovering near zero, Knoch defeated Derry, 9-6, on a 24-yard field goal in overtime by A.J. Pagano.
40 years ago
• Despite a heavy snow and icy field conditions, Springdale defeated Burgettstown, 22-12, in a WPIAL Class AA playoff game at Kittanning. Despite the conditions, Charlie Hertzog threw scoring passes to Larry Lutz and Mike Pajerski.
• Leechburg defeated Richland, 19-13, in the AIC Bowl behind two Randy Tira touchdowns.
50 years ago
• Kiski Area knocked Connellsville out of the Foothills Conference title race with a 34-6 victory at Davis Field. Halfback Bobby “Tex” Koleno scored three Cavaliers touchdowns.
• Arnold belted Hampton, 31-0, to conclude an 8-1 season. Dave Olivo's 52-yard pass to Gene Montemurro gave the Lions an 18-0 halftime advantage.
75 years ago
• Tarentum put the final touches on an undefeated season with a 25-7 win over Rankin at Dreshar Stadium. Ray Greco's 11-yard reception accounted for the final Redcats score.
George Guido is a freelance writer.