Kiski Area senior Kuhn chooses Youngstown State
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kiski Area senior Shane Kuhn grew weary of the Division I football recruiting grind, so he went with the school that believed in him before the start of his senior year.
Kuhn, a 6-foot-3, 220-pound tight end/linebacker, committed to Youngstown State on Thursday to end a stretch in which he received scholarship offers from the Penguins and later Colgate. He also received interest from Pitt and West Virginia.
The Penguins made their full scholarship offer to Kuhn in June, and Colgate followed in October.
“Youngstown State has been at the top of the board for a while now,” Kuhn said. “I've talked to some other schools lately, and I'm honestly fed up with it, just beating around the bush. Youngstown was the first to offer me, and I respected that. ... It seemed like the other schools, they wanted to wait it out, and I wasn't going to take the chance of Youngstown getting another commitment and me missing out. It wasn't worth it for me.”
The Penguins recruited Kuhn as a tight end.
“I like playing linebacker probably even better (than tight end),” Kuhn said, “but I wouldn't be playing linebacker at the next level — I'd probably play defensive end. So for my future and well being, I'm better off at tight end.”
Colgate's academic reputation appealed to Kuhn, but Youngstown State's proximity to home gave the Penguins a major edge.
“The education is great at Colgate,” Kuhn said. “But Youngstown State, it's hard to look past the record and the football part. Plus, I can get there in an hour and a half driving, and Colgate is like six hours away.”
“I feel like I could start at Youngstown in the next couple years. … It's just going to be nice to get up there and make an impact.”
Kuhn finished his senior season with 18 receptions for 309 yards and two touchdowns. He had a team-high 77 tackles, including 53 solo stops.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fight stops Monessen-Wilkinsburg game in 3rd quarter
- Highlands humbles Deer Lakes in Allegheny Conference play
- Clairton rolls to victory at Riverview behind RB Dreher
- Franklin Regional holds off Armstrong
- Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic cruises to nonconference victory over Riverside
- West Allegheny rushes to victory over Montour
- Steel Valley defense spearheads victory over Freeport
- Strong second half carries Woodland Hills over Upper St. Clair
- High school roundup: Chandler leads Avonworth past Fort Cherry
- Belle Vernon rides line play, running game to win over West Mifflin
- Kiski Area avenges last year’s 65-0 loss with upset of Plum