USO season comes to end after loss to Somerset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A week after winning the City League championship, the USO football team's season came to an end with a 28-20 loss to Somerset at Cupples Stadium in a PIAA sub-regional playoff game Friday night.
“I'm so proud of my kids,” USO head coach Lou Berry said. “The things that they accomplished this year: the first time in our existence going undefeated, brought a championship back to USO. In a few days we'll really reflect back on what we accomplished, and we'll be very proud of it.”
Trailing 13-0 at halftime, USO (9-1) went on a second half run led by junior quarterback Ronald Brown and senior receiver Marcus Johnson to cut the lead to eight on two different times occasions.
Brown was 23-38 for 329 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions while Johnson caught nine passes for 159 yards to go along with two touchdowns.
“What Ronald Brown has done this season, throwing for over 3,000 yards, Marcus Johnson, terrific talent that we've had a pleasure of coaching the last three years,” Berry said. “Seeing those two work magic together throughout the course of the season was just a dream come true.”
Somerset (9-1), out of District V, was led by senior quarterback Tanner Stull's 127 rushing yards and avenged a 47-38 loss to USO in the same game last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Allegheny’s defense shuts down North Hills, 31-7
- Kittanning routs Ford City in rivalry’s final game
- Valley, Freeport provide special moment for Clarke in regular-season finale
- Penn-Trafford remains unbeaten, shuts out Norwin
- Franklin Regional downs Gateway, wraps up 2nd place in Greater Allegheny Conference
- Central Valley gains measure of revenge on No. 1 West Allegheny
- WPIAL football playoff clinchings
- High school roundup: Mars upsets No. 4 Hampton in GAC
- No. 4 Highlands wraps up perfect regular season
- Aliquippa blasts Beaver Falls to complete another perfect regular season
- Jeannette rolls past rival Greensburg Central Catholic