WPIAL Class AA semifinals preview: South Fayette vs. Beaver Falls
TribLIVE Sports Videos
class AA Semifinals
No. 2 South Fayette (11-0) vs. No. 6 Beaver Falls (9-2)
7:30 p.m. Friday at Montour
Century Conference champion South Fayette had the most explosive offense and stingiest defense in Class AA, but its 31-7 win over Seton-La Salle in the quarterfinals worried some in the program.
“Come playoff time, not every game's going to be a blowout,” South Fayette quarterback Brett Brumbaugh said. “We know that.
“We needed a game like that to show that we can play in a game that comes down to the wire.”
The Lions will see their toughest test of the year Friday when they meet Midwestern Conference runner-up Beaver Falls — a team that fell just shy of 500 total points.
Beaver Falls coach Ryan Matsook said his squad will embrace the challenge of attempting to knock off one of the top teams in Class AA and its star QB, Brumbaugh.
South Fayette's previous dominance against MAC competition is something Matsook is familiar with and not backing down from.
“We've got our work cut out for us,” Matsock said. “We haven't proven that we can beat them, and certainly they should be the favorite in it.”
South Fayette averaged 48 points per game while allowing 4.8. Beaver Falls averaged 41.4 points per game while allowing 18.
For the Lions, this is a game they've been waiting to play since last season. South Fayette lost in the semifinals, 26-14, to Washington last year.
For Brumbaugh, he wants a shot to play at Heinz Field with a WPIAL title up for grabs.
“We came up a game short last year,” said Brumbaugh, who threw for a WPIAL-record 463 yards last week. “We don't want to experience the same ending this year.”
— Brian Graham
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pine-Richland hopes to avoid ‘drop off’ against State College
- Through the years: A look at final games of A-K Valley schools
- Scoring record within reach for Clairton
- PIAA quarterfinalists Central Valley, Conneaut sharing success after mergers
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- South Fayette, Karns City set for rematch in PIAA quarterfinals
- South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense
- Liotta, Petrishen represent AK-Valley at WPIAL football finals
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- Thomas Jefferson gridders post 3rd straight 11-1 record