WPIAL Class A semifinals preview: Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic vs. Neshannock
TribLIVE Sports Videos
class A Semifinals
No. 2 Cardinal Wuerl N. Catholic (11-0) vs. No. 6 Neshannock (9-2)
7:30 p.m. Friday at Mars
North Catholic and Neshannock met Oct. 18 in a nonconference matchup, and the Trojans held off a late rally for a 21-14 victory.
It marked the last time Adam Sharlow lined up under center for the Trojans before suffering a season-ending injury. That forced junior blue chip player P.J. Fulmore from running back to quarterback, while Jerome Turner became the featured running back.
It was late in the first matchup that Sharlow went down and Fulmore stepped in at quarterback, giving the Lancers a preview of what they will see come Friday.
“As we know, P.J. is your classic running back,” Neshannock coach Fred Mozzocio said. “So they're more of a wildcat. They're still a very potent offense.”
The first matchup was Fulmore's first game back after missing four games with an ankle injury. He said he is now at full strength and mentally sharp as well.
“Last time I just got thrown in during the middle of the game,” Fulmore said. “I'll get to practice all week against their defense as quarterback, so it'll be a lot different.”
Even though he can't play, Sharlow still has an impact on the game. Fulmore credits Sharlow for giving him a crash course in playing quarterback in the system.
The Lancers feature an accomplished running game as well. QB Ernie Burkes and RB Elijah Owens each have gone over 1,000 yards. The Trojans are tough in the trenches, setting up a battle at the point of attack.
“The best part about our defense is we stick together,” North Catholic coach Bob Ravenstahl said. “We'll give up some yards and we bend a little bit but don't break. Defense has really been a strong point for us.”
— Ed Phillipps
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- Through the years: Late TD snapped Springdale’s 31-game skid
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top matchups for Week 8
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Clairton gets its revenge against Monessen
- Berry’s memorable night lifts Ringgold to 7th straight win
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- High school roundup: Trinity upsets West Mifflin in Big 9
- No. 5 McKeesport pulls away from Norwin
- Statewide HSFB notebook: Jersey Shore wins on controversial finish
- HS highlight reel: Reigning champs set to defend titles