Frazier puts 9 on T-C South Team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Nine members of Frazier's football team were named to the Tri-County South All-Conference Team.
Among the Commodores to be selected are seniors Charles Manack (QB), Zachary Mastowski (LB), Michael Luce (WR), Daniel Leonard (DE), Dakota Hixson (WR) and Joseph Hela (G) and juniors Nicholas Smalich (RB), Nathaniel Zurich (TE/LB) and Darren Osborne (DE).
Manack, Mastowski, Luce and Leonard are all repeat selections.
Manack, a three-time selection, also made the Tri-County South All-Conference Team as a tight end when he was a sophomore.
This season, he was one of the top passers in the WPIAL, completing 109 of 198 passes for 1,796 yards and 27 touchdowns in the Commodores' wide-open attack.
In two seasons, he passed for nearly 3,600 yards and 47 TDs.
“Charlie is a heck of a player who is going to be a huge loss for us,” said Frazier coach Mike Steeber. “He knows our offense better than anybody else I've ever had. He was like having a coach on the field.”
His top receivers were Hixson (39 receptions, 769 yards, 11 TDs) and Zurich (29-476, 9 TDs).
Luce (14-251, 3 TDs) was one of Manack's favorite targets before getting injured during the season.
Smalich led the Commodores in rushing with 802 yards on 122 carries (6.6 average) with 9 TDs. He assumed the bulk of the ground game load after Frazier's top running backs, Chase Bertocci and Mastowski, went down with injuries early in the season.
“Nick not only had a good year at running back, but he was big for us on defense, too,” said Steeber. “In the playoff game against Clairton, he had 15 tackles. That's a lot of tackles.”
Frazier finished the season 7-3 and made the WPIAL Class A playoffs for the third straight season.
Bentworth had three players selected to the all-conference team, including senior Mason Shumaker (OL/DL) and sophomores Ethan Tush (RB/DB) and Matt McMillan (RB/LB).
Conference champion Beth-Center led the team with 11 members while Mapletown coach George Messich was voted Coach of the Year.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cops: Man shoots 11-year-old with BB gun; boy is critical
- Pirates reassign Liz to make roster room for Morton
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- North Hills students share their knowledge of German language
- Early success in White House race a pleasant surprise for Carson
- Police charge Allentown teen for beating, holding ex-girlfriend at gunpoint
- A family’s flag flies again in Mt. Pleasant
- Wrong-way driver causes head-on crash in Center
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Iraqi troops lack ‘will to fight,’ Secretary of Defense Carter says