Homer-Center storms to District 6-A crown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
ALTOONA — Homer-Center completed just one pass in the District 6-A championship game, but it was all the Wildcats needed.
Trailing 12-8 with 4:19 to play, Homer-Center faced a fourth-and-3 at midfield.
Aaron Berezansky connected with Ean Lee over the middle for a 10-yard gain and a first down. Two plays later, Lee scored on an 11-yard run to give the Wildcats the lead.
Homer-Center finished off its run to district gold with a 22-12 victory over Bishop Guilfoyle on Saturday night on a snow-covered field at Altoona's Mansion Park.
Two plays after Lee's go-ahead touchdown, Shawn Steffee tackled BG's Brandon Chadbourne in the end zone for a safety.
Berezansky sealed the win on the Wildcats' ensuing possession with an 11-yard touchdown run.
Prior to taking the lead, Homer-Center did little in the second half, gaining 20 yards and collecting zero first downs.
Lee finished the game with 83 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries.
After Bishop Guilfoyle struck first on DJ Kitt's 74-yard touchdown run, Homer-Center took advantage of a Marauders special teams gaffe that led to an 8-6 lead.
Lucas Monko pounced on a fumble at the Bishop Guilfoyle 34. Seven plays later, Lee scored on a 1-yard run. Mike Newhouse's two-point run on the conversion attempt gave the Wildcats the lead.
BG took a 12-8 lead later in the second quarter on a 16-yard touchdown on a swing pass from Chadbourne to Sam McCloskey.
Jon Fleck is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- South Allegheny tops winless Carlynton in brawl-marred game
- Gorman: McGinnis to boost Quips
- Pine-Richland knocks off No. 1 Central Catholic, takes conference title
- Charleroi wins wild, long affair
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- Apollo-Ridge offense earns rest period against Deer Lakes
- Through the years: Late TD snapped Springdale’s 31-game skid
- HS highlight reel: City League cancels 2 football games after fight