High school notebook: PIAA postpones Saturday's championship games
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA postponed two state championship football games scheduled for Saturday due to the threat of snow forecasted for the Hershey area.
The Class AAAA and AA championship games will now be played Sunday at Hersheypark Stadium.
South Fayette (15-0) will play Imhotep Charter (13-2) at 1 p.m. in the Class AA game.
Central Catholic (15-0) will play St. Joseph's Prep (11-3) at 6 p.m. in the Class AAAA game.
Saturday's forecast in Hershey calls for 4-8 inches of snow beginning in the morning and increasing in intensity throughout the day.
Archbishop Wood wins AAA title
Jarrett McClenton scored three second-half touchdowns to lead Archbishop Wood to a 22-10 victory over Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt in the PIAA Class AAA football championship game Friday night.
McClenton scored on runs of 4, 1 and 15 yards as Wood (13-2) overcame a 3-0 halftime deficit to capture its second title in the last three years. He finished with 238 yards on 40 carries, both Class AAA title game records.
Bishop McDevitt (14-2) lost in the state championship game for the third time in the last four years, including a 52-0 loss to Archbishop Wood in 2011.
GCC football to play in Class A
The Diocese of Greensburg announced Friday that Greensburg Central Catholic will follow rival Jeannette and play Class A football for the next two seasons.
The move was decided Monday before the PIAA deadline for petitioning to stay up in classification, which GCC has done the past four seasons. Basketball, however, will stay in Class AA.
Football coach and athletic director Dan Mahoney said the move had to be made because of declining enrollment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Pine-Richland knocks off No. 1 Central Catholic, takes conference title
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top matchups for Week 8
- High school football roundup: Fulmore hits career milestone for CWNC
- South Allegheny tops winless Carlynton in brawl-marred game
- Hectic week ahead for WPIAL student-athletes
- High school roundup: Trinity upsets West Mifflin in Big 9
- No. 5 McKeesport pulls away from Norwin