High school notebook: PIAA postpones Saturday's championship games
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The PIAA postponed two state championship football games scheduled for Saturday due to the threat of snow forecasted for the Hershey area.
The Class AAAA and AA championship games will now be played Sunday at Hersheypark Stadium.
South Fayette (15-0) will play Imhotep Charter (13-2) at 1 p.m. in the Class AA game.
Central Catholic (15-0) will play St. Joseph's Prep (11-3) at 6 p.m. in the Class AAAA game.
Saturday's forecast in Hershey calls for 4-8 inches of snow beginning in the morning and increasing in intensity throughout the day.
Archbishop Wood wins AAA title
Jarrett McClenton scored three second-half touchdowns to lead Archbishop Wood to a 22-10 victory over Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt in the PIAA Class AAA football championship game Friday night.
McClenton scored on runs of 4, 1 and 15 yards as Wood (13-2) overcame a 3-0 halftime deficit to capture its second title in the last three years. He finished with 238 yards on 40 carries, both Class AAA title game records.
Bishop McDevitt (14-2) lost in the state championship game for the third time in the last four years, including a 52-0 loss to Archbishop Wood in 2011.
GCC football to play in Class A
The Diocese of Greensburg announced Friday that Greensburg Central Catholic will follow rival Jeannette and play Class A football for the next two seasons.
The move was decided Monday before the PIAA deadline for petitioning to stay up in classification, which GCC has done the past four seasons. Basketball, however, will stay in Class AA.
Football coach and athletic director Dan Mahoney said the move had to be made because of declining enrollment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL Class AA notebook: South Fayette’s Brumbaugh closes in on state passing record
- End of an era for Ford City football and its coach; Bartolovic steps aside
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- Karns City uses bruising running game to gain comeback win over Chestnut Ridge
- High school football notebook: Official’s decision impacts WPIAL Class AAAA title game
- Ligonier Valley vows to make return to playoffs in 2015
- Gorman: Wasko fulfills ’Lopes hopes
- Gorman: Aliquippa football program on record run
- Gorman: Palko perfect for West Allegheny
- Gorman: Central Catholic faces ‘phenomenon’
- Avonworth faces ‘tall order’ against unbeaten Clairton