Kittanning-area football players earn all-state honors
By Matt Grubba
Published: Friday, Jan. 3, 2014, 11:51 p.m.
Eight local football players were selected to 2013 all-state teams released Thursday by the Pennsylvania Football News.
Apollo-Ridge junior Tre Tipton was picked as a first-team defensive back, and Redbank Valley senior Zane Watson was picked as the first-team kicker in Class A. For Tipton, it is the second first-team all-state honor of the year, after he earned that distinction from the Pennsylvania Football Writers' Association.
Also honored on the Class A third team as all-purpose athletes were Apollo-Ridge senior quarterback Jesse Zelonka and West Shamokin junior running back Zac Horner.
In Class AA, Kittanning and Karns City each had a pair of third-team selections.
From the Wildcats, junior Nick Bowers earned the honor at wide receiver, and junior quarterback Braydon Toy was selected as an all-purpose athlete. Karns City is represented by senior defensive lineman Adam Whited and junior linebacker Cody Deal, who was selected with the athlete designation.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Young Pakistani immigrant linked to Pennsylvania woman known as ‘Jihad Jane’ sentenced to prison
- NBA player plans Russia’s 1st Hooters
- Wrongfully arrested man sues city of Pittsburgh, police
- Emboldened by Italy move, QVC to expand into France
- Pens insider: Penalty killing a concern in Stanley Cup playoffs
- Kittanning baseball scores 5 runs in 1 inning for win
- Undersized rookie Gibbons is blur on ice for Penguins
- High school roundup: West Allegheny softball earns Section 2 win over Montour
- Putin’s national address to Russians raises fears of possible incursion into southeastern Ukraine
- Plum native Umberger inching closer to return for Blue Jackets
- Penguins’ Bylsma, Blue Jackets’ Richards know each other well