Penn Hills great Flynn to be inducted into PAA Hall of Fame
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Pittsburgh Athletic Association will induct former Penn Hills, Pitt and NFL safety Tom Flynn into its Hall of Fame Friday night at its annual John Majors Night celebration.
The Mercury Award also will be presented to the top high school football player in Western Pennsylvania. The finalists are Central Catholic running back Luigi Lista-Brinza, Aliquippa running back-defensive back Dravon Henry, Woodland Hills quarterback Harry Randall, Sto-Rox quarterback Lenny Williams and Thomas Jefferson quarterback-linebacker Chase Winovich.
Flynn passed for 1,100 yards and rushed for 700 and 16 touchdowns as a senior at Penn Hills in 1979, when he led the Indians to their fourth consecutive WPIAL Class AAA title under coach Andy Urbanic. Flynn was a four-year starter at safety at Pitt and a fifth-round draft choice of the Green Bay Packers, where he played for three seasons.
After being cut by the Packers midway through the 1986 season, Flynn was playing flag football when he was signed by the New York Giants. Flynn blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown against the Packers to help the Giants clinch a playoff berth, and they went on to win Super Bowl XXI.
Among the guest speakers will be new Penn State defensive coordinator Bob Shoop, Temple wide receivers coach Terry Smith, former Pitt coach John Majors, Urbanic and former NFL great Bill Fralic, a former Penn Hills and Pitt teammate of Flynn's who will present him.
The banquet begins at 7 p.m. For more information, call the PAA at 412-621-2400.
— Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Counselors available at Hempfield after crash kills student
- Protest planned Monday at Plum Borough High School
- Oak Ridge couple transforms 1820 house into quaint bed and breakfast
- WVU looks forward to deep, versatile team
- Troopers seek suspects in Pine Twp. arsons
- Crosby, Malkin want to remain in Pittsburgh
- Presley’s planes will remain at Graceland
- Pirates notebook: Wainwright injury doesn’t sway Hurdle on DH
- Behind Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Johnston trying to figure out why Penguins ‘fell off a cliff’
- Presque Isle Downs, Mountaineer adapt in battle over smoking rules