HS Buzz: PIAA board will hear Sto-Rox appeal March 20
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Sto-Rox administrators will meet with the PIAA Board of Directors on March 20 to discuss the enrollment numbers submitted by the district, athletic director Howard Bullard said.
The PIAA numbers released in January moved Sto-Rox to Class AA football. The school, which has said its numbers were flawed, would like to return to Class A, where it was the WPIAL football runner-up the past three seasons.
Bullard declined to discuss how the numbers were submitted incorrectly.
Every two years, the PIAA requires its schools to submit updated enrollment figures for grades 9-11 by Oct. 15. Schools have 30 days to correct any errors. Sto-Rox did not take action until after classification parameters were released in January.
“They had the opportunity to correct whatever they submitted up to Nov. 15,” PIAA executive director Bob Lombardi said. “I don't know what the board will do.”
However, Northern Lehigh School District approached the PIAA in January with a similar dilemma, and the board allowed the school's enrollment numbers to be changed.
“A member school has the opportunity to appeal anything in the bylaws that they feel has been done incorrectly,” Lombardi said. “Whether it's an adverse decision of eligibility or a filing process.”
The WPIAL already has released football conferences and schedules for next season with Sto-Rox in Class AA.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Hearings scheduled before WPIAL board
- Latrobe boys soccer team competes in WPIAL playoffs for 1st time in 22 years
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- Pine-Richland knocks off No. 1 Central Catholic, takes conference title
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- HS highlight reel: Reigning champs set to defend titles
- South Park uses 90-second, 28-point surge to get past Steel Valley
- McKeesport’s quick-strike attack routs Hempfield
- Ringgold’s Berry is player of week
- Apollo-Ridge offense earns rest period against Deer Lakes