Ringgold expects crowd of applicants for football coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ringgold Athletic Director Ron McMichael has a strong feeling his phone and email account with the district will be very busy the next few days.
That's because the district suddenly finds itself in need of a new football coach after Matt Humbert was hired at Belle Vernon Area earlier this week.
“I would expect a lot of interest because, honestly, I would think this next team would have been Matt's best here and he's had some good teams.”
McMichael said the procedure for filling the football position is to advertise within the district for one week and then post the position for the general public.
He said he has already received some inquiries for the position.
“This is a good job to have,” McMichael said. “Matt did a great job while he was here building the program.”
Humbert coached over four years at Ringgold and left with a 30-13 record, including four consecutive trips to the WPIAL Class AAA playoffs.
The Rams will return numerous key veterans, including quarterback Nico Law, who threw for 1,494 yards and 14 touchdowns and also rushed for 1,210 yards and another 14 TDs. Running back Chacar Berry, who rushed for 563 yards, caught passes for another 222 yards and scored 15 TDs, will be a junior.
Wide receiver/linebacker Luke Baldesberger will also be back, as will several key players such as Aaron Szakal (defensive line) and Jake Gerard (defensive back).
McMichael said ideally he would like to have a new coach in place by March, but admitted that will be tough.
“I would think that April would be more likely because while we want to move swiftly, we want to be thorough in the process. We want the best candidate for our kids. It's a big undertaking.”
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Decision on football fracas expected today
- Tickets aplenty for Ringgold-BVA game
- Southmoreland plays Burgettstown in big game
- Late touchdowns seal Southmoreland’s fate against Derry
- Gators hope to shake off tough loss to Tigers
- Southmoreland varsity gridders helping midget football teams
- Monessen, Wilkinsburg await WPIAL ruling
- Quaker Valley football coach emphasizes need to close out games
- Plum hopes to get back on track against Falcons
- Bentworth’s Hughes named Player of Week
- Clairton prepares for rugged Jeannette by routing Riverview