HS Buzz: WPIAL stars Jenkins, Whitehead on ESPN 300
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A pair of four-star junior football recruits from the WPIAL were ranked among the top 300 players in the country by ESPN last week.
Baldwin offensive tackle Sterling Jenkins (6-foot-8, 290 pounds) was ranked as the 68th-best prospect, and Central Valley defensive back Jordan Whitehead (5-11, 171) was ranked 136th.
Jenkins has offers from Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Tennessee, Toledo, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech and WVU.
Whitehead has offers from Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Temple, Tennessee, Virginia, Virginia Tech, WVU and Wisconsin.
Rowan honored by MaxPreps
Lincoln Park guard Maverick Rowan (6-6, 175), a Pitt recruit, was named to the MaxPreps sophomore All-American team as a second-team selection. Rowan averaged 28.3 points in helping the Leopards to WPIAL and PIAA Class A titles. He has nearly 1,500 career points.
Basketball coaches hired
West Allegheny named Dan Marshall as its boys basketball coach.
• Chartiers-Houston hired Laura Montecalvo, a former standout in volleyball, basketball and track at Washington, to coach girls basketball.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL, coaches are still looking to schedule Week 9 rivalry games
- Gorman: A WPIAL playoff drought about to end
- Valley News Dispatch Q&A: Springdale’s Austin Kline
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top Week 9 matchups
- Offensive line powering Penn-Trafford offense
- West Mifflin hoping to spoil TJ’s perfect season
- Heavyweights West Allegheny, Central Valley meet in test for Parkway
- Longtime rivals Kittanning, Ford City set for final act
- Leader Times Q&A: Redbank Valley’s Wyatt Hetrick
- Skiles has Bentworth headed in right direction
- Apollo-Ridge offense earns rest period against Deer Lakes