HS Buzz: WPIAL stars Jenkins, Whitehead on ESPN 300
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A pair of four-star junior football recruits from the WPIAL were ranked among the top 300 players in the country by ESPN last week.
Baldwin offensive tackle Sterling Jenkins (6-foot-8, 290 pounds) was ranked as the 68th-best prospect, and Central Valley defensive back Jordan Whitehead (5-11, 171) was ranked 136th.
Jenkins has offers from Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Tennessee, Toledo, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech and WVU.
Whitehead has offers from Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Temple, Tennessee, Virginia, Virginia Tech, WVU and Wisconsin.
Rowan honored by MaxPreps
Lincoln Park guard Maverick Rowan (6-6, 175), a Pitt recruit, was named to the MaxPreps sophomore All-American team as a second-team selection. Rowan averaged 28.3 points in helping the Leopards to WPIAL and PIAA Class A titles. He has nearly 1,500 career points.
Basketball coaches hired
West Allegheny named Dan Marshall as its boys basketball coach.
• Chartiers-Houston hired Laura Montecalvo, a former standout in volleyball, basketball and track at Washington, to coach girls basketball.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school notebook: Christy will join Knoch football staff
- Players benefit from A-K Valley 7-on-7, Big Man Challenge
- Gateway Gators make good use of summer work
- Rawlins is back on gridiron, this time as coach at Monessen
- Kiski Area to host Alle-Kiski Valley 7-on-7 Passing Competition and Big Man Challenge
- Former South Park coach Loughran optimistic about Fox Chapel’s prospects
- Norwin football uses WCCA 7-on-7 event to prepare for upcoming season
- Football coach Loughran settles in at Fox Chapel
- Area coaches prefer staying put for camp