HS Buzz: WPIAL stars Jenkins, Whitehead on ESPN 300
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A pair of four-star junior football recruits from the WPIAL were ranked among the top 300 players in the country by ESPN last week.
Baldwin offensive tackle Sterling Jenkins (6-foot-8, 290 pounds) was ranked as the 68th-best prospect, and Central Valley defensive back Jordan Whitehead (5-11, 171) was ranked 136th.
Jenkins has offers from Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Tennessee, Toledo, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech and WVU.
Whitehead has offers from Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Temple, Tennessee, Virginia, Virginia Tech, WVU and Wisconsin.
Rowan honored by MaxPreps
Lincoln Park guard Maverick Rowan (6-6, 175), a Pitt recruit, was named to the MaxPreps sophomore All-American team as a second-team selection. Rowan averaged 28.3 points in helping the Leopards to WPIAL and PIAA Class A titles. He has nearly 1,500 career points.
Basketball coaches hired
West Allegheny named Dan Marshall as its boys basketball coach.
• Chartiers-Houston hired Laura Montecalvo, a former standout in volleyball, basketball and track at Washington, to coach girls basketball.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trib high school rankings for Sunday, Sept. 21
- High school roundup: Jeannette rolls to victory; Hempfield standout commits to IPFW
- Carlynton players carry on under new coach
- Penn Hills runs past Mt. Lebanon defense
- High school roundup: No. 9 North Allegheny takes down Upper St. Clair
- Schoolboy pick of the week: BVA
- Patterson throws five TD passes in Frazier romp
- Brown’s 7 TDs power Apollo-Ridge past Shady Side Academy
- Ringgold rolls over West Mifflin
- Charleroi suffers a ‘Devil’ of a time in Burgettstown
- Clairton allows 2 scores but still sprints past Springdale