HS Buzz: WPIAL stars Jenkins, Whitehead on ESPN 300
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A pair of four-star junior football recruits from the WPIAL were ranked among the top 300 players in the country by ESPN last week.
Baldwin offensive tackle Sterling Jenkins (6-foot-8, 290 pounds) was ranked as the 68th-best prospect, and Central Valley defensive back Jordan Whitehead (5-11, 171) was ranked 136th.
Jenkins has offers from Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Tennessee, Toledo, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech and WVU.
Whitehead has offers from Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Temple, Tennessee, Virginia, Virginia Tech, WVU and Wisconsin.
Rowan honored by MaxPreps
Lincoln Park guard Maverick Rowan (6-6, 175), a Pitt recruit, was named to the MaxPreps sophomore All-American team as a second-team selection. Rowan averaged 28.3 points in helping the Leopards to WPIAL and PIAA Class A titles. He has nearly 1,500 career points.
Basketball coaches hired
West Allegheny named Dan Marshall as its boys basketball coach.
• Chartiers-Houston hired Laura Montecalvo, a former standout in volleyball, basketball and track at Washington, to coach girls basketball.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Valley holds off Burrell to win Battle of the Bypass
- Montour kicker comes through in win over Central Valley
- Norwin football runs over Latrobe to win opener
- Connellsville football starts strong before succumbing to McKeesport
- Transfer Ross powers Greensburg Central Catholic past Monessen
- Gateway gets off to good start with win over Greensburg Salem
- Plum tops Hempfield once again
- Highlands scores 42 straight points, rallies to victory
- Big 2nd half gives Franklin Regional win over Knoch, 35-2
- Ringgold topples Thomas Jefferson
- Defense sparks Freeport to Allegheny Conference victory over Shady Side Academy