Shady Side Academy football prepares for upcoming season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy football team will be donning the pads soon as preseason practice begins Aug. 11.
“As usual, camp will last for two weeks, and we'll be practicing at the high school,” coach Dave Havern said.
“For the first week, we'll have a morning practice, then a short special teams workout in the afternoon and finish with an evening defensive practice. The team will be on the field about five hours a day.”
The team will end the first week with a scrimmage against Carrick from the City League at 10 a.m. Aug. 16.
During the second week, there will be an afternoon and evening session each day and the squad will have a scrimmage against Our Lady of the Sacred Heart on Aug. 22.
The physicality of the camp will be limited, as is the case for many WPIAL Class A and AA teams, due to the limited numbers.
“We don't bang around much during camp, other than to get some position questions answered,” Havern said. “You have to do some, but considering the smaller roster, we have to be conservative in our approach to full contact.”
A strong emphasis is placed on nutrition and hydration.
“We are real sensitive to hydration issues,” Havern said. “Most of the kids eat the right things, but we monitor fluid intake to make sure everyone is getting enough liquids to keep the mechanism working.”
Personnel decisions also might be made during two-a-days.
“As far as the position battles, we've got some big questions to answer during camp,” Havern said. “Losing six seniors who will go on to play in college is a big hit. Dennis Briggs (Pitt), Jarred Brevard (Fordham), Chuck Calabrese (Tufts), Tyrel Hill (Notre Dame College), Matt O'Connor (Williams) and Nick Rogalski (St. Lawrence) took a lot of talent and experience with them. But most of our seniors and a bunch of juniors have seen significant playing time during the last couple seasons, so we're hoping they can step up and fill some of the void.
“We're looking forward to Aug. 11.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Springdale sets tone early, routs Riverview
- Valley, Freeport provide special moment for Clarke in regular-season finale
- Late TD lifts Penn Hills past Woodland Hills
- Kittanning routs Ford City in rivalry’s final game
- Central Valley gains measure of revenge on No. 1 West Allegheny
- Jeannette rolls past rival Greensburg Central Catholic
- High school roundup: Springdale football wins 4th in a row
- Connellsville reaches playoff despite blowout loss
- Apollo-Ridge fine-tunes for playoffs with 64-20 victory over Burrell
- West Shamokin dominates Deer Lakes
- Schoolboy pick of week: BV Area