Fox Chapel football putting in preseason work
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel football team has been staying in shape during the offseason, and coach Eric Ravotti said his squad is anxious for camp to begin.
“We began our offseason training program in December last year, and the team has been weight training three days a week since then and will continue until the beginning of camp,” he said.
“We began skill development with the players twice a week from April, and this continues until the start of camp, as well. Skill development is for players to work on their specific positions together.”
The Foxes will start pre-camp workouts Aug. 4. Official practice starts Aug. 11.
“August 4 to 8 is noncontact minicamp and heat-acclimation sessions,” Ravotti said. “All-day camp begins Aug. 11. Players report each day at 7:30 a.m. and leave at 5 p.m. We practice from 8 to 10:30, then again from 2:30 to 5.
“Normal camp day begins with practice, meeting and then lunch. Players have a break to relax from 12 to 2, then back to practice. We usually focus on offense in the morning and defense in the afternoon.”
Ravotti hopes the underclassmen have been studying the playbook during the offseason.
“We expect our younger players to study their assignments in the offseason so that they can just focus on physical development when camp begins,” he said.
In years past, the Foxes have struggled with injuries during the preseason, depleting one of the smallest WPIAL Class AAAA rosters.
“Due to only having 30 players for our varsity and JV combined the past three years, we have not been able to fully develop younger players like other programs, and when we get injuries like last year, we have little chance at competing the way we would like to,” Ravotti said.
“This year, we may have 50 players and hopefully enough to field a JV team for a full season. The goal for us is to simply stay healthy so we may be able to compete for four quarters each game. We will see how it goes.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clairton uses big second half, key turnover to pull away from Jeannette
- South Fayette extends winning streak in dominating fashion
- Freeport takes chances, cashes in during shutout of Highlands
- Frazier flexes defensive muscles in shutout of Beth-Center
- BVA takes advantage of Ringgold mistakes
- Serra Catholic soars to victory on game-ending kick
- High school roundup: No. 3 Pine-Richland holds off Seneca Valley
- West Mifflin limits chances for Laurel Highlands in conference win
- Penn-Trafford QB Laffoon sets career TD pass mark in rout of Hempfield
- Elizabeth Forward wins seesaw battle over Yough
- Mt. Lebanon still unbeaten after 98-yard INT return sparks rally vs. Bethel Park