Valley hires football coach Colosimo as athletic director
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Parents, coaches and students involved with Valley athletics now can expect more face time with the man they call “Muzzy” this coming school year.
Named Valley's football coach in January, William “Muzzy” Colosimo added another title Thursday night, as the New Kensington-Arnold School Board approved him as a full-time athletic director. Colosimo, who replaces Mark Kaczanowicz, gets a one-year appointment that offers a $35,000 salary and benefits.
“I think my forte has been getting kids into college for football, and now I have a chance to expand that to all sports,” Colosimo said. “Valley has great kids everywhere. These last four months, I've had a ball. I can't thank them enough for an opportunity to do this.”
Superintendent John Pallone said the district needed Kaczanowicz, who served as athletic director in a part-time capacity, to return to teaching health and physical education on a full-time basis in light of the school consolidation approved last week.
Colosimo established strong credentials within the WPIAL while coaching at Greensburg Central Catholic. In charge of the Centurions for 17 seasons, he had a 143-46 record, a WPIAL title and a PIAA runner-up finish on his resume.
Away from the football field, Colosimo found a variety of roles that kept him involved with the school. He served as GCC's assistant athletic director, its track coach and its grounds and maintenance supervisor.
“I wore a lot of hats,” he said, “and if there was something going on at Central after school, I usually stayed. I watched boys lacrosse games, girls tennis, girls soccer. I even stayed for a field hockey game to see what I knew.”
He plans to establish himself as a constant presence both in Valley hallways and on WPIAL committees.
“When you work in a school, you're there for everybody, so I think it's really going to be an exciting experience,” Colosimo said. “As I told the board members today, they're not going to regret this.”
Staff writer Liz Hayes contributed to this report. Bill West is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BWest_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Hearings scheduled before WPIAL board
- Charleroi-Cal only 10th game in town
- Latrobe boys soccer team competes in WPIAL playoffs for 1st time in 22 years
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Springdale secures another playoff berth
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- High school football roundup: Fulmore hits career milestone for CWNC
- South Park uses 90-second, 28-point surge to get past Steel Valley
- Pine-Richland knocks off No. 1 Central Catholic, takes conference title
- Clairton gets revenge for streak stopper