Gorman: Podgorski to 'punish' foes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ryan Podgorski has played every position on the offensive line, from left tackle to left guard to long snapper.
The South Park star doesn't have a preference on a position.
“Wherever,” Podgorski said. “I'm versatile.”
Where most colleges want him as a tackle, South Park coach Tom Loughran thinks Podgorski's future is as an interior lineman.
“He's a great long snapper,” Loughran said. “He can regular snap and shotgun snap. He definitely can be a center.”
Although the 6-foot-5, 265-pounder will play defensive tackle this season, Podgorski believes his future is on offense.
“Because I like to punish people,” Podgorski said. “I like to be mean, to finish my blocks, finish the second level, also.”
Podgorski doesn't just talk tough. He looks the part, too, with a mohawk haircut.
Podgorski has scholarship offers from Akron, Bowling Green, Western Michigan and Robert Morris. He's also received interest from Pitt, which is worried that he isn't heavy enough to play on the line.
“They've got weight rooms down there, right?” Loughran joked. “In that respect, he reminds me of Reggie Wells. He didn't have the body weight they were looking for, but I said, ‘This kid can play.' Reggie's much more athletic, but that's not to downplay Ryan.”
Wells grew into a 300-pounder at Clarion, where he was a two-time Division II All-American. He played eight seasons in the NFL.
Podgorski, who recently turned 17, has room for growth.
“He should only be going into his junior year,” Loughran said. “When he came in as a freshman, he was big and awkward. He's just worked hard to get better and keeps improving.”
If Podgorski's progress continues, it will be bad news for his foes.
Kevin Gorman is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @KGorman_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- South Allegheny tops winless Carlynton in brawl-marred game
- Charleroi wins wild, long affair
- Through the years: Late TD snapped Springdale’s 31-game skid
- Charleroi, California to meet in Week 10
- HS highlight reel: City League cancels 2 football games after fight
- South Park uses 90-second, 28-point surge to get past Steel Valley
- Clairton gets revenge for streak stopper