Gorman: Fox Chapel has 'two best linebackers'
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Eric Ravotti played linebacker at Penn State and for the Steelers, so he's something of an authority on the position.
So, when the Fox Chapel coach talks about his terrific tandem of David Brown and Carrington Vaughn, you should listen.
“I know I have the two best inside linebackers,” Ravotti said. “There's no doubt in my mind. I wouldn't trade my two for anybody in Pennsylvania.”
Ravotti calls Brown (6-foot-2, 230 pounds) and Vaughn (6-1, 215) “legit Division I linebackers” though it's his policy not to permit players to talk about which schools are recruiting them.
Where Brown is a natural inside 'backer, Vaughn has moved from the outside so they can both play sideline to sideline.
“It's easy to make plays now that I'm inside with him,” Vaughn said. “We can control both sides of the field.”
Brown also believes the best friends complement each other playing side by side. Where Brown has bulk, Vaughn has 4.5-second speed in the 40.
“You're not going to run away from Carrington,” he said. “He's going to chase you down and make you turn away, and I'm going to be coming the other way.”
Where Ravotti calls Brown a “dominant player,” Metro Index Scouting director Joe Butler believes Vaughn has the potential to be one of the WPIAL's best.
Both Brown and Vaughn were flattered to hear the compliment that came from their coach.
“That's a big thing that he's saying that, with all of his experience,” Vaughn said. “It gives us confidence and helps us to play better.”
Which would be the best.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Scoring record within reach for Clairton
- Pine-Richland’s ‘Neil’ the ram has happy home
- High school football notebook: Official’s decision impacts WPIAL Class AAAA title game
- Karns City, Chestnut Ridge set for 3rd straight PIAA football clash
- Karns City uses bruising running game to gain comeback win over Chestnut Ridge
- Clairton wins 11th WPIAL football championship
- Photo reprints from WPIAL championship games available
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Gorman: Best WPIAL champion ever a matter of the heart
- HS highlight reel: Vincentian football coach Storino let go