Leechburg's Barto 1 shot back in PIAA golf finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
With one round of the PIAA Class AA individual golf championships complete, Leechburg junior Matt Barto is one stroke behind the leader — not too bad for a guy who dealt with a migraine during the back nine Monday afternoon.
Barto sits in a tie with Holy Redeemer junior Mariano Medico for third place after shooting 2-over par 73 at Heritage Hills Golf Course in York. He had four birdies, four bogeys and one double-bogey.
“With my head literally pounding and all the bad breaks I had, I could've gone insane,” said Barto, a two-time state finals qualifier. “Considering that, I was really happy with my round and how I scored.”
Barto shot an even-par 36 on the front nine. His head started to ache, and his drives started to stray after the turn. Still, he managed a 2-over 37.
Barto still enjoyed himself, and he attributed the happiness to the presence of friend and opponent Alex Patricio, a Yough senior who shot 72 to tie for first.
The individual championships conclude Tuesday.
Kittanning senior Jordan Klodowski is in a three-way tie for 21st. He shot 82.
In the Class AA girls championship, Freeport freshman Audrey Clawson shot 86. She's in 11th place.
Valley senior Bill Clark is in 33rd place in the Class AAA final after shooting 86.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- D’Amico, Oberdorf hope to pace Greensburg Salem golf at top of lineup
- Quartet of 11th graders set to lead Hempfield golf team this season
- Burrell golfer trying to live up to name
- Plum golf focusing on improving section mark
- Gators eye improved section performances
- Franklin Regional golfers hope to challenge for section crown again in 2015