Connellsville golf team experienced, confident as season opens
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For several senior members of the Connellsville golf team, now is the time to shine.
The Falcons will hit the links with an experienced starting four. Seniors Tyler McFadden, Jonathan Grinko, Ryan Burkholder and Colt Miller have each been a key part of the team since they were freshmen.
“The freshmen that I had are now my seniors, and they are in my top four no matter what,” Connellsville coach Brent Rockwell said. “We have a very experienced group, so it's all up to them and whether or not they put in the time over the summer. It's basically in their hands to go out and win the section.”
Connellsville will compete in Section 2-AAA with Albert Gallatin, Belle Vernon, Elizabeth Forward, Laurel Highlands, Ringgold and Uniontown.
“We're definitely trying to win the section,” Grinko said. “We have four people who have been here from our freshman to senior years. We know the courses, and we have experience, and we're going to show it. We definitely have the talent.”
McFadden, Grinko, Burkholder and Miller hold down the top four spots, but Rockwell is still searching for a steady fifth scorer.
Seniors Tanner Kirsch and Tyler Henry, along with sophomores Jimmy Malone and Zach Beneke, appear to be the likely candidates.
“I have four guys that should stay at the top and four guys going for five through eight,” Rockwell said. “I just need one of those guys to shoot bogey golf, and we should be all right.”
Rockwell, who is entering his sixth season as Connellsville's coach, is excited about the prospects of a successful season even though the Falcons finished with a 4-11 record a year ago.
“I'm confident because of the talent we have coming back,” Rockwell said. “I believe they can play well and be in first or second place in the section. Consistency will be the key for this team.”
Connellsville will start the season by competing in the Fayette County Coaches Association tournament Friday at Duck Hollow Golf Course in Uniontown.
The Falcons will play their home matches at Pleasant Valley Country Club in Connellsville.
Jason Black is the local sports editor of the Daily Courier. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- D’Amico, Oberdorf hope to pace Greensburg Salem golf at top of lineup
- Quartet of 11th graders set to lead Hempfield golf team this season
- High school golf preview: Solid lineup boosts Peters Township
- Derry boys golfers set sights on section title
- Burrell golfer trying to live up to name
- Mt. Pleasant boys expect more success on the links
- Experienced seniors, talented freshman provide optimism for Latrobe boys golf
- Plum golf focusing on improving section mark
- Franklin Regional golfers hope to challenge for section crown again in 2015
- Gators eye improved section performances