Young Fox Chapel girls golf team slips to .500 mark
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After starting out with a 5-1 record, the Fox Chapel High School girls golf team has struggled of late and sits at 5-5.
Part of the reason for the slide is the youth and inexperience of the team.
“We really didn't lose much from last year's team — one full-time and one part-time starter,” FC coach John Broderick said. “But we have only two seniors on the team this year.
“Out of 13 players, we have four sophomores and four freshmen.”
The starters on the team have been senior captains Taylor Patrick and Mia Damina; junior Kate Fink; sophomores Libby Friend, Emily Robosson and Ciera Miller; and freshmen Ursula Meyer and Ally Robosson.
The rest of the squad includes juniors Olivia Heinauer and Miren Martin, sophomore Pryanca Shaw and freshmen Kersten Neitel and Missy Critendon.
“We had no expectations when the season started. There were so many young players that we didn't know what to expect,” Broderick said. “There are four matches left so we have a chance to finish with a winning record and build some momentum for next year. We do have a lot of girls coming back and they've been able to get a lot of experience.”
The key for the future, said Broderick, is for the team members to keep working on their game.
“They have to get involved in the summer tournaments,” Broderick said. “That's where you hone your game.
“This the first time in a long time that we didn't have any WPIAL qualifiers and, if the girls work hard, that can change next year.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Military academy members hone hacking skills at competition
- NHL notebook: Family says ex-Hawk Mikita has dementia
- Homework: Pittsburgh Home Show to feature celebs, wine and pets
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Acting helped ‘Justified’s’ Dillahunt overcome tragedy
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Designs by Frank Lloyd Wright nominated for World Heritage inclusion
- Monessen woman dies in truck-car crash on Route 51 in Fayette County
- McCord to plead guilty to federal charges from campaign fundraising
- Pirates sign 2 to minor league deals
- Week before sentencing, Ferrante seeks acquittal or new trial