Bishop Canevin sophomore sets school mark, qualifies for PIAA west golf regional
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Sam Smallhoover's day at the WPIAL Class AA golf championship event wasn't just good — it was historic.
The Bishop Canevin sophomore shot an 80 to finish 10th — the highest finish by a male golfer in school history.
“I wasn't too comfortable with the course,” Smallhoover said. “But the greens were nice and rolling well. It was my first time here. I had a lot of support from my teammates back at Canevin so that helped.”
Keystone Oaks had two golfers fail to qualify for the west regional as sophomore Josh Short finished in 29th with an 88 and senior Andrew Bigler shot a 97 to finish in 42nd.
The WPIAL championship was played at Sewickley Heights Golf Course — a course many went into expecting high scores due to the difficulty. Smallhoover was somewhat familiar with the setting.
“All the bunkers were pretty tough,” Smallhoover said. “Some of the greens were, too. I played here this past summer and played here earlier this week to get ready.”
Smallhoover said his goal was to reach the western regionals heading into the WPIAL championship. Now he just wants to keep the season going.
“I really wanted to move on from (WPIALs),” Smallhoover said. “Now I want to get to the championship round.”
Smallhoover will play at the PIAA west regionals scheduled for Oct. 16 at Tom's Run Golf Club in Blairsville.
Nathan Smith is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-388-5813.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bodies of Kochu, Gray found in Ohio River in West Virginia
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Narduzzi set to begin more critical evaluations during Pitt football spring drills
- Police end standoff with New Kensington man
- Steel Valley board denies teachers union restroom grievance
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start
- Pittsburgh angles to keep Heinz headquarters in merger
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Pitt adds quarterback recruit from Cincinnati
- Police arrest suspect in fatal Wilmerding shooting
- European carriers lack 2-person cockpit rule in place in U.S.