Bishop Canevin sophomore sets school mark, qualifies for PIAA west golf regional
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Sam Smallhoover's day at the WPIAL Class AA golf championship event wasn't just good — it was historic.
The Bishop Canevin sophomore shot an 80 to finish 10th — the highest finish by a male golfer in school history.
“I wasn't too comfortable with the course,” Smallhoover said. “But the greens were nice and rolling well. It was my first time here. I had a lot of support from my teammates back at Canevin so that helped.”
Keystone Oaks had two golfers fail to qualify for the west regional as sophomore Josh Short finished in 29th with an 88 and senior Andrew Bigler shot a 97 to finish in 42nd.
The WPIAL championship was played at Sewickley Heights Golf Course — a course many went into expecting high scores due to the difficulty. Smallhoover was somewhat familiar with the setting.
“All the bunkers were pretty tough,” Smallhoover said. “Some of the greens were, too. I played here this past summer and played here earlier this week to get ready.”
Smallhoover said his goal was to reach the western regionals heading into the WPIAL championship. Now he just wants to keep the season going.
“I really wanted to move on from (WPIALs),” Smallhoover said. “Now I want to get to the championship round.”
Smallhoover will play at the PIAA west regionals scheduled for Oct. 16 at Tom's Run Golf Club in Blairsville.
Nathan Smith is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or 412-388-5813.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Baldwin golfers competing for WPIAL AAA crown
- Walz places third at WPIAL golf finals
- Chris Tanabe makes Quaker Valley golf history
- South Fayette golfer Keeling advances to PIAA playoffs
- Shumaker 17th at WPIAL golf championship
- Beehner ties for second at WPIAL finals
- Plum golfer Reynolds hopes to go from worst to first at WPIALs
- Canon-McMillan’s Waller, GCC’s Zambruno claim WPIAL girls golf titles
- Canon-Mac’s Waller, GCC’s Zambruno aim for titles at WPIAL girls golf championship
- Leps heading to golf playoffs
- Sewickley Academy boys golf is at it again