Plum boys golf team punches ticket to WPIAL team playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity boys golf team won five of its final six Section 4-AAA matches, including Tuesday's 207-212 triumph over Gateway at Murrysville Golf Club, to clinch a spot in one of two WPIAL team semifinal events.
The Mustangs finished the section slate 8-4 — tied for second with Kiski Area and Franklin Regional.
Plum dropped a pair of matches to section champion Fox Chapel, which went undefeated in section play. The Mustangs also fell twice to Kiski Area, but swept Franklin Regional.
One of the wins against the Panthers was an early-season two-stroke victory at Oakmont Country Club.
Franklin Regional and Kiski also lost both matches to Fox Chapel, and the Panthers swept the Cavaliers to set up the three-way tie for second.
The top two teams from each AAA section, including ties for second, advance to the WPIAL playoffs.
The two semifinal sites on Tuesday are River Forest Golf Club in Freeport and Ponderosa Golf Club in Hookstown. Both semifinals are set to begin at 9 a.m.
The top three finishing teams from each semifinal course will advance to the team championship on Oct. 10 at 10 a.m. at Cedarbrook Golf Club in Belle Vernon.
Plum's semifinal site was not determined as of Thursday morning. Athletic director Bob Alpino said the site would be determined by the WPIAL golf committee Friday.
All dates, times and locations listed are from the WPIAL website at WPIAL.org.
The Plum junior shot an 18-over-par 88 and placed 35th at Wednesday's WPIAL CLass AAA championship tournament at Diamond Run Golf Club in Sewickley.
Reynolds qualified for the WPIAL finals with a runner-up finish at a semifinal qualifier Sept. 24 at Youghiogheny Country Club in McKeesport.
South Fayette senior Corey Long won the AAA title by outlasting Indiana senior Matt Holuta on the fourth sudden-death playoff hole.
Both had finished their 18-hole round with a 3-under 67.
The top 14 finishers in AAA advance to the PIAA Western Qualifier at Tom's Run Golf Course in Blairsville on Oct. 16.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Concert aims to heal wounds of Armstrong veterans
- Grant helps Armstrong agency provide cribs to needy families
- Armstrong fire departments sharpen river rescue skills
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, July 2, 2015
- W. Elizabeth mulls cost of new garage