Fox Chapel's Sheerer takes 10th at PIAA golf finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
YORK — It turned out to be quite a season for Fox Chapel senior Patrick Sheerer.
He capped his senior season with a 10th-place finish Tuesday at the PIAA Class AAA championships at Heritage Hills Golf Resort.
While the PIAA title went to Upper St. Clair senior Grant Engel, who shot a 5-over 147, Sheerer was proud to bring home a medal.
“I definitely wanted to win,” Sheerer said. “I hit the ball well in the final round, but I just couldn't make anything on the greens. The pins were in tough positions.”
Sheerer and Upper St. Clair senior Thomas Steve tied for 10th after shooting 12-over 154.
Sheerer was part of a team that won the section title. He placed fifth in the WPIAL and won the PIAA West Regional last week at Tom's Run Golf Course at Chestnut Ridge Resort in Blairsville.
“I couldn't be happier,” Sheerer said. “This caps off a good senior season. I was just hoping to do a little better.”
Things didn't turn out as well for Leechburg senior Matt Barto, who placed a disappointing 16th in the PIAA Class AA tournament.
Barto said he just didn't have confidence with his driver after breaking is R11 prior to the West Region tournament.
“I had no confidence with my driver on the first day,” Barto said. “I wasn't comfortable and I struggled. It wasn't a good week.
“I played a little better Tuesday, but that's because I didn't use the driver much.”
Barto finished with a two-day total of 160. He shot a 79 in the second round.
Freeport sophomore Audrey Clawson also finished out of the medal count. She finished 11th in Class AA following a 177. She shot an 88 during the final round.
Central Valley's Macky Fouse won the Class AA girls title by shooting a 152. Seton-La Salle junior Joey Walz was second with a 160, and Central Valley sophomore Maddy McDanel was third with a 161.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With Malkin out, Penguins fall to Flyers, 4-1
- Wines claimed to be toxic with arsenic won’t be pulled by state Liquor Control Board
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying
- Former Plum teacher says he warned district about possible inappropriate conduct
- Fear of being grounded keeps some pilots from revealing mental issues
- EDMC schools on federal list for poor financial management
- Former teachers convicted in Atlanta test scandal
- Greensburg Salem school board discusses stricter anti-nepotism policy
- Couple files lawsuit claiming Ruffsdale Gun Club contaminates soil, water
- Steelers re-sign DE Geathers