Prospect watch: Central Catholic's Leo Loughrey
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 223 pounds, FB-LB, Central Catholic
Leo Loughrey is a legacy for Central Catholic, following in the footsteps of two brothers who played on undefeated WPIAL and PIAA championship teams.
He hopes to leave one at Central, as well.
Where Mack was a defensive lineman who played on the 2004 team and at Columbia, and Sam is a linebacker who played on the ‘07 team and is a senior at Lehigh, Leo wants to one-up his big brothers by playing Division I-A football.
“I have more size than they both did in high school,” he said.
A three-year starter, Loughrey has gained 15 pounds since recording 117 tackles and 12 sacks at inside linebacker as a junior.
“It's absolute toughness with him,” Central coach Terry Totten said. “He's a throwback. He wants to get the tailback on the ground.”
Loughrey has an offer from Bucknell, strong interest from Richmond and is getting looks from Mid-American Conference schools such as Buffalo, Ohio and Toledo, where former Vikings Terrelle Anderson, Juwan Haynes and Damion-Jones Moore play.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County D.A.’s office rounding up drug suspects
- New Castle man admits to producing child pornography
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Ferrante trial set to begin Thursday afternoon
- Mezzo might be the youngest in Sienna Mercato family, but it earns identity
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Cops: Washington County surplus store sold stolen items
- Highmark seeks double-digit increase for more benefits, heavy use
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Officials identify witness to Port Authority bus crash after releasing photo
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop