Prospect watch: Central Catholic's Leo Loughrey
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 223 pounds, FB-LB, Central Catholic
Leo Loughrey is a legacy for Central Catholic, following in the footsteps of two brothers who played on undefeated WPIAL and PIAA championship teams.
He hopes to leave one at Central, as well.
Where Mack was a defensive lineman who played on the 2004 team and at Columbia, and Sam is a linebacker who played on the ‘07 team and is a senior at Lehigh, Leo wants to one-up his big brothers by playing Division I-A football.
“I have more size than they both did in high school,” he said.
A three-year starter, Loughrey has gained 15 pounds since recording 117 tackles and 12 sacks at inside linebacker as a junior.
“It's absolute toughness with him,” Central coach Terry Totten said. “He's a throwback. He wants to get the tailback on the ground.”
Loughrey has an offer from Bucknell, strong interest from Richmond and is getting looks from Mid-American Conference schools such as Buffalo, Ohio and Toledo, where former Vikings Terrelle Anderson, Juwan Haynes and Damion-Jones Moore play.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wintry weather in forecast for Mon-Yough area
- Race for Pennsylvania’s 39th Legislative District one to watch
- Twin Rivers COG takes another step toward finalizing merger with Steel Valley
- McKeesport basketball tournament to assist homeless veterans
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- Police: Man wanted in fatal ambush of Pennsylvania trooper finally captured
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts