Prospect watch: Central Catholic's Leo Loughrey
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 223 pounds, FB-LB, Central Catholic
Leo Loughrey is a legacy for Central Catholic, following in the footsteps of two brothers who played on undefeated WPIAL and PIAA championship teams.
He hopes to leave one at Central, as well.
Where Mack was a defensive lineman who played on the 2004 team and at Columbia, and Sam is a linebacker who played on the ‘07 team and is a senior at Lehigh, Leo wants to one-up his big brothers by playing Division I-A football.
“I have more size than they both did in high school,” he said.
A three-year starter, Loughrey has gained 15 pounds since recording 117 tackles and 12 sacks at inside linebacker as a junior.
“It's absolute toughness with him,” Central coach Terry Totten said. “He's a throwback. He wants to get the tailback on the ground.”
Loughrey has an offer from Bucknell, strong interest from Richmond and is getting looks from Mid-American Conference schools such as Buffalo, Ohio and Toledo, where former Vikings Terrelle Anderson, Juwan Haynes and Damion-Jones Moore play.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Car, truck collide near Taco Bell in New Kensington
- Burrell School Board debates hiring resource officer
- Springdale council, mayor spar over police costs
- Fallowfield revisits local police coverage
- Mylan CEO Bresch sets sights on growth
- Cheswick fills 1 of 2 council vacancies
- Jefferson Hills woman faces charges in accident that killed 2 in Somerset County
- Western Pennsylvania detailers get opportunity to work on original Air Force One
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener