Prospect watch: Central Catholic's Leo Loughrey
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 223 pounds, FB-LB, Central Catholic
Leo Loughrey is a legacy for Central Catholic, following in the footsteps of two brothers who played on undefeated WPIAL and PIAA championship teams.
He hopes to leave one at Central, as well.
Where Mack was a defensive lineman who played on the 2004 team and at Columbia, and Sam is a linebacker who played on the ‘07 team and is a senior at Lehigh, Leo wants to one-up his big brothers by playing Division I-A football.
“I have more size than they both did in high school,” he said.
A three-year starter, Loughrey has gained 15 pounds since recording 117 tackles and 12 sacks at inside linebacker as a junior.
“It's absolute toughness with him,” Central coach Terry Totten said. “He's a throwback. He wants to get the tailback on the ground.”
Loughrey has an offer from Bucknell, strong interest from Richmond and is getting looks from Mid-American Conference schools such as Buffalo, Ohio and Toledo, where former Vikings Terrelle Anderson, Juwan Haynes and Damion-Jones Moore play.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Coburn’s final ‘Wastebook’ tallies $25B in what he considers ‘pork’
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- NFL notebook: Goodell must testify at Rice appeal
- Metropolitan Division holding own in early part of season
- Penn State defense returns to familiar spot atop Big Ten Conference
- Longtime rivals Kittanning, Ford City set for final act
- Motorist in Downtown mishap, passenger arrested on drug charges
- WPIAL, coaches are still looking to schedule Week 9 rivalry games
- Daily News Q&A: Lamont Wade, Clairton
- High school roundup: Canon-Mac girls down Peters Twp. in shootout