Prospect watch: Central Catholic's Leo Loughrey
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 223 pounds, FB-LB, Central Catholic
Leo Loughrey is a legacy for Central Catholic, following in the footsteps of two brothers who played on undefeated WPIAL and PIAA championship teams.
He hopes to leave one at Central, as well.
Where Mack was a defensive lineman who played on the 2004 team and at Columbia, and Sam is a linebacker who played on the ‘07 team and is a senior at Lehigh, Leo wants to one-up his big brothers by playing Division I-A football.
“I have more size than they both did in high school,” he said.
A three-year starter, Loughrey has gained 15 pounds since recording 117 tackles and 12 sacks at inside linebacker as a junior.
“It's absolute toughness with him,” Central coach Terry Totten said. “He's a throwback. He wants to get the tailback on the ground.”
Loughrey has an offer from Bucknell, strong interest from Richmond and is getting looks from Mid-American Conference schools such as Buffalo, Ohio and Toledo, where former Vikings Terrelle Anderson, Juwan Haynes and Damion-Jones Moore play.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Malkin, Hornqvist return to Penguins lineup vs. Coyotes
- Players respect coach, refuse to blame Johnston
- Rogue Catholics in Society of St. Pius X to reopen West End church
- Eagle egg breaks, parents abandon nest
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- Clymer woman dies in 2-vehicle crash in Homer City
- Mon Valley Progress Council looks for business-friendly ideas
- Toole decides to remain at Robert Morris after interviewing with Fordham
- Cal U women win Division II national title with 86-69 win
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office