Prospect watch: Mt. Lebanon's Tyler Roth a jack of all trades
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 180 pounds, QB-DB-P, Mt. Lebanon
Tyler Roth is comfortable with the football in his hands. It's just a matter of college coaches determining whether he is at his best throwing it, catching it or punting it.
Roth is a first-year starter at quarterback for the Blue Devils, an all-conference cornerback and one of the top punters in the WPIAL. He has a nice combination of size and speed, with a 4.6-second speed in the 40-yard dash and a 31-inch vertical leap, and had three interceptions as a junior.
“Most see me as a defensive back that also punts,” Roth said. “That's what a lot of coaches say. If they're teeter-tottering over whether they want me, that puts it over the edge.”
His versatility — as well as a 4.5 weighted grade-point average and score of 30 on the ACT — is drawing the interest of Ivy and Patriot league schools. Bucknell has offered a scholarship, and Cornell, Dartmouth and Princeton also are recruiting Roth.
“I really want to go to a good school,” said Roth, who plans to study engineering, “so I'm looking as much at academics as athletics.”
Roth also is a two-year starter at shooting guard for Mt. Lebanon's basketball team, which reached the PIAA Class AAAA final his sophomore season. Blue Devils football coach Mike Melnyk is excited to see how Roth works with Troy Apke, a speedy junior wide receiver who already has a scholarship offer from Pitt.
“He's very talented, just a good athlete,” Melnyk said of Roth. “He's been in a lot of heated situations between basketball and football. I think he's poised to have a breakout year. They go hand in hand.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt’s Boyd, Blair suspended for Youngstown State game
- Steelers notebook: No decision on surgery for rookie CB Golson
- Authorities identify 2 men killed in fiery crash in Pittsburgh
- Pennsylvania’s Class AAAA Basketball Player of the Year commits to Penn State
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Pirates send Decker to Indy to clear roster space for Morse
- British police force under investigation amid child sex abuse claims against ex-PM
- Slot cornerback Boykin should give Steelers options in secondary
- Large crowd mourns Kittanning woman allegedly killed by escapee
- New interim director to take over VA regional office in Pittsburgh
- Heroin, marijuana found in car in Greensburg, driver arrested