Prospect watch: Bishop Canevin's Mike Dunn
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-4, 225 pounds, LB, Bishop Canevin
Mike Dunn tied the Bishop Canevin school record for career tackles as a junior, so every stop he makes this season is simply putting that mark further out of reach.
As a junior, Dunn recorded 148 tackles in 12 games — including six sacks and 21 tackles for loss — to earn Class A all-state honors.
“And we're stingy,” Crusaders coach Bob Jacoby said. “You just can't be near the pile or fall on the pile.”
At middle linebacker, Dunn gets to show his nose for the ball carrier. His physique, however, could allow him to grow into another position. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds and projects as a potential outside linebacker or rush end.
Dunn is receiving interest from FCS programs such as Bucknell and Youngstown State and also is hearing from Mid-American Conference schools.
“I'm physical and I get to the ball pretty quick,” Dunn said. “I've been playing middle linebacker since first grade. It just seemed to always be my thing.”
A three-year starter, Dunn had 58 stops, four sacks and nine TFLs through the first five games for Bishop Canevin this fall. He helped contain Monessen quarterback Chavas Rawlins, a West Virginia recruit, from the perimeter by making 15 tackles.
“He's a student of defense,” Jacoby said. “He has the freedom to make all the calls on the field. He reads the offense well, can get to the off-tackle hole but has great pursuit to get the wide side, too.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Peduto blasts Wolf’s plan to borrow $3B to shore up pensions
- Work release inmate walks away from Armstrong County Jail
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- Hempfield murderer serving life sentence promises restitution when he’s released
- Multiple delays to slow travel between Alle-Kiski Valley, Greensburg
- Steelers’ Bell unsure why NFL reduced his suspension
- 1 person reportedly stabbed at Fayette housing complex
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- Westmoreland torture-slaying convict Smyrnes says death row isolation too cruel