Prospect watch: Woodland Hills' Tom Greene
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-4, 190 pounds, WR-SS, Woodland Hills
When Woodland Hills attended a passing camp at Michigan State this past summer, Spartans coach Mark Dantonio checked out not the Wolverines but their opponent.
He couldn't help but notice Tom Greene.
“We played a team from Detroit, Martin Luther King, that had six Division I players,” Woodland Hills coach George Novak said. “Their secondary was unbelievable looking, and he made them look silly.”
If Greene was then a virtual unknown, he's quickly made a name for himself. He caught only six passes for 56 yards as a junior, when Cincinnati recruit Shakim Alonzo was the team's top target.
Greene has assumed that role this fall and had a team-best 23 receptions for 427 yards (18.6 per) and six touchdowns prior to Friday's game at Peters Township.
“He was in Shakim's shadow last year, but he's having a great year,” said Novak, who noted that Greene also is gaining interest on defense. “We put him at strong safety, and he's had three picks — he ran one back for a touchdown. A lot of coaches want to see him.”
Greene doesn't have scholarship offers yet, but Novak believes it's only a matter of time before a Division I program pulls the trigger on his star receiver-strong safety.
“He could play either,” Novak said. “He's a good tackler. He has great hands, catches the ball with his hands and runs great routes. Everybody double- or triple-teams him. Everybody plays a guy underneath or over top of him, and he's made some unbelievable catches.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge lifts order blocking racy state emails
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Westmoreland crash
- Bethel Park settled police officer’s suit for $25,000
- Penguins’ new 3rd jersey similar to early 1990s version
- Alligator spotted along the banks of the Allegheny River in Cheswick
- Pittsburgh firefighter suffers minor electrical shock in Wilkinsburg fire
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Steelers’ Timmons looks to reverse defense’s struggles
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Steelers’ Polamalu relying on smarts as physical skills decline
- Police investigate armed robberies in Lawrenceville