Prospect watch: Woodland Hills' Tom Greene
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-4, 190 pounds, WR-SS, Woodland Hills
When Woodland Hills attended a passing camp at Michigan State this past summer, Spartans coach Mark Dantonio checked out not the Wolverines but their opponent.
He couldn't help but notice Tom Greene.
“We played a team from Detroit, Martin Luther King, that had six Division I players,” Woodland Hills coach George Novak said. “Their secondary was unbelievable looking, and he made them look silly.”
If Greene was then a virtual unknown, he's quickly made a name for himself. He caught only six passes for 56 yards as a junior, when Cincinnati recruit Shakim Alonzo was the team's top target.
Greene has assumed that role this fall and had a team-best 23 receptions for 427 yards (18.6 per) and six touchdowns prior to Friday's game at Peters Township.
“He was in Shakim's shadow last year, but he's having a great year,” said Novak, who noted that Greene also is gaining interest on defense. “We put him at strong safety, and he's had three picks — he ran one back for a touchdown. A lot of coaches want to see him.”
Greene doesn't have scholarship offers yet, but Novak believes it's only a matter of time before a Division I program pulls the trigger on his star receiver-strong safety.
“He could play either,” Novak said. “He's a good tackler. He has great hands, catches the ball with his hands and runs great routes. Everybody double- or triple-teams him. Everybody plays a guy underneath or over top of him, and he's made some unbelievable catches.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kobani emerges as pivot point
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Georgia Tech runs all over mistake-prone Pitt
- Play to watch: Colts, Luck like to confuse defenses
- West Virginia whips Oklahoma State for 4th straight win
- Motorcyclist flown to Pittsburgh hospital from Tarentum wreck
- High school roundup: Springdale football wins 4th in a row
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- Frye: Chronic wasting disease news and hunter trends
- Allegheny Valley beats Freeport in OT to win youth league Super Bowl
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment