Prospect watch: Woodland Hills' Tom Greene
By Kevin Gorman
Published: Sunday, Oct. 21, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
6-foot-4, 190 pounds, WR-SS, Woodland Hills
When Woodland Hills attended a passing camp at Michigan State this past summer, Spartans coach Mark Dantonio checked out not the Wolverines but their opponent.
He couldn't help but notice Tom Greene.
“We played a team from Detroit, Martin Luther King, that had six Division I players,” Woodland Hills coach George Novak said. “Their secondary was unbelievable looking, and he made them look silly.”
If Greene was then a virtual unknown, he's quickly made a name for himself. He caught only six passes for 56 yards as a junior, when Cincinnati recruit Shakim Alonzo was the team's top target.
Greene has assumed that role this fall and had a team-best 23 receptions for 427 yards (18.6 per) and six touchdowns prior to Friday's game at Peters Township.
“He was in Shakim's shadow last year, but he's having a great year,” said Novak, who noted that Greene also is gaining interest on defense. “We put him at strong safety, and he's had three picks — he ran one back for a touchdown. A lot of coaches want to see him.”
Greene doesn't have scholarship offers yet, but Novak believes it's only a matter of time before a Division I program pulls the trigger on his star receiver-strong safety.
“He could play either,” Novak said. “He's a good tackler. He has great hands, catches the ball with his hands and runs great routes. Everybody double- or triple-teams him. Everybody plays a guy underneath or over top of him, and he's made some unbelievable catches.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ACC notebook: Coaches keep tabs on players’ bid to unionize
- MLB notebook: Padres’ Johnson to undergo 2nd Tommy John surgery
- Suspicious device closes part of Market Square
- Search warrant shows 12 items seized from stabbing suspect’s locker
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle familiar with Ike Davis’ lineage
- Casey to promote tax-free savings plan for disabled during Pittsburgh stop
- A.J. Richardson, wife held for trial over 911 calls
- Champions come out for ‘Stars on Ice’ at Consol
- Amedisys to pay $150M in suits
- Penguins notebook: Injured Goc could return during Round 1
- SUV strikes two girls in Hempfield