Prospect watch: Montour's Devin Wilson
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-4, 182 pounds, WR-DB, Montour
Devin Wilson has the WPIAL records for most receptions and receiving yards. The Montour star also has on record a WPIAL Class AAA football championship and back-to-back appearances in the PIAA basketball final, along with a recorded 37-inch vertical.
What Wilson has never recorded is a 40-yard dash time.
At least, not officially.
Wilson worries that slow times at the Semper Fidelis All-American Game combine last January in Phoenix, which he claims was voided because of mistakes made by the staff, has hampered his recruitment. Word is, Wilson ran it in 4.7 seconds or slower.
“I never trained for a 40 in my life,” Wilson said.
“When I'd go to camps, I wouldn't run the 40. I guess that's what turned teams off. They say I'm not fast enough, but I can run with (Central Valley star Robert) Foster and he's one of the fastest players I've seen. I can jump for balls, high-point everything. Watch the film — the whole entire game — and you can see what I'm all about.”
College coaches might be wondering which sport Wilson is all about. He hasn't decided whether to focus on football, where he has scholarship offers from Akron, North Carolina State, Ohio or Temple, or basketball, where he has offers from Akron, Drexel, Hofstra, Rider and St. Bonaventure.
“I don't know if people are scared away because of his basketball offers,” Montour coach Lou Cerro said. “Here's a kid who's a good athlete, smart kid. People should be beating down his door.”
Wilson said his decision will come down to the best offer.
“I think that is a big part, me just not committing to one or the other,” Wilson said. “I'm not choosing by a sport. I love both equally. I'm choosing by a school.
“Whatever school I can see myself at for four years and be successful is the one I'll choose. I feel if I put myself 100 percent into one sport, I can be really good at it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pens get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Wilkinsburg man killed in his apartment
- Chartiers Valley displays shooting touch in blowout win over USC
- Pittsburgh to consider measure to give city employees 6 weeks of paid parental leave
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- Panthers drop heartbreaker in overtime to Virginia Tech