Prospect watch: Aliquippa's Dravon Henry
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot, 185 pounds, RB-DB, Aliquippa
When Aliquippa coach Mike Zmijanac called Dravon Henry into his office and informed the Quips' star that Ohio State had offered a scholarship, Henry was in denial.
“I didn't believe it at first,” Henry said. “Then I went on the Internet and saw a story that they were recruiting me, and saw it was for real.”
Henry was excited, not because it was his first offer — he counts Pitt, West Virginia, Kent State, Maryland, Rutgers and Toledo are among his suitors — but rather that he wasn't expecting the Buckeyes to pull the trigger so soon in his junior year.
“More like it came out of nowhere,” Henry said. “I was kind of shocked.”
Don't be surprised that Henry plans to play defense, despite rushing for 1,072 yards and 17 touchdowns this season and 3,357 yards and 48 touchdowns in three seasons as a starter.
Henry sees himself as a safety, where he had nine interceptions last season and two this fall. In fact, he was excited when one recruiting site called him “Henry Island,” a reference to the nickname of former Aliquippa and Pitt star Darrelle Revis, an All-Pro cornerback for the New York Jets and Henry's cousin.
Henry hopes to visit Ohio State for its game against arch-rival Michigan later this month, and says the Buckeyes want Aliquippa junior defensive tackle Jaleel Fields to accompany him.
“It feels good,” Henry said. “It actually makes me want to work harder.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Rossi: Baseball needs a new schedule
- Steelers remain confident in defense
- LaBar: Best next opponent for Brock Lesnar
- Berry wins Steelers’ punting job; Wing traded to Giants
- Megyn Kelly’s forte not Pa. Megan’s
- Toyota to invest $50M in driverless technology with Stanford, MIT partnership
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Narduzzi revisits his YSU roots
- Pirates reliever Liz new, improved
- Philly DA won’t fire Fina, two others for porn emails