Beasley gains respect of coach as Woodland Hills leader
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot, 230 pounds, FB-LB, Woodland Hills
George Novak is not one to boast about his players, but when it comes to Alex Beasley, the Woodland Hills coach doesn't hesitate to call the senior inside linebacker one of the Wolverines' most important leaders and the “heart and soul” of their defense.
Beasley would have it no other way.
“At linebacker, you get to make the big hits, and I love hitting people,” he said. “The team revolves around my energy. The way we play sends a vibe to the rest of the team.”
Woodland Hills is feeling a championship vibe as the Wolverines (10-2) will play in the WPIAL Class AAAA final against two-time defending champion North Allegheny (12-0) on Friday at Heinz Field.
Beasley also has rushed for more than 250 yards and five touchdowns at fullback this season and is following in the footsteps of his cousin, Tyre Young, a former Woody High great who also played fullback and linebacker on a WPIAL championship team. Young went on to play nose tackle at Pitt and IUP.
“I always looked up to Tyre,” Beasley said. “He was a monster. He was dominant. When I talk to him, he gives the mindset that when I hit you, I'm coming to destroy you. That gives me an edge.”
Beasley, a three-year starter, has a 3.5 grade-point average and scored 1,400 on the SAT. He is receiving interest from Duke and Toledo but has yet to receive a scholarship offer.
“I'm not allowed to have bad grades. As old as I am, I'll get a spanking,” Beasley said, with a laugh. “You want to have something that sets you apart from just football. I take the same approach from the football field to the classroom. I give my all in both. God blessed me with an intelligent mind. I might as well use it. As long as I get to play ball and, God-willing, get a free education, I'll play on either side of the ball. It doesn't matter.
“I don't want to get too caught up in recruiting. I would love to have an offer in my mailbox, but I'll play my heart out.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Through the years: Highlands routed Franklin Regional to clinch conference title
- VND High school football notebook: Local flavor enhances Penn Hills, other playoff teams
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- Emaciated Lab-collie mix found in garbage bag in New Stanton
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- How to avoid Amazon and still get deals
- Leader Times high school roundup: Freeport hockey team loses to Thomas Jefferson
- ‘Bend and dent’ store opening in Rural Valley
- LaBar: Updated WWE Network numbers, its future
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled