North Allegheny quarterback Leftwich commits to Kugler, UTEP
TribLIVE Sports Videos
North Allegheny quarterback Mack Leftwich has played with a chip on his shoulder, believing he had the talent to play at the Division I level despite concerns about his size.
When Sean Kugler accepted the head-coaching job at the University of Texas at El Paso, one of his first moves was to offer a scholarship to Leftwich. Leftwich was planning to play at Division I FCS Stephen F. Austin in Nagodoches, Texas, but is now committed to UTEP.
“Coach Kugler has seen me play just about every game I've played at NA, and he always said that whoever got you was getting a steal and if he did get a job, he always said the first thing he'd do was offer me,” Leftwich said of Kugler, a UTEP alum who is the father of North Allegheny tackle Patrick Kugler. “I'm just glad someone has the confidence in me and is willing to give me the chance to play Division I football.”
— Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Reading’s ‘ugly’ Christmas tree getting single red bulb
- Firefighters extinguish fire that damages 6 cabs at Yellow Cab Co.
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Boyce Park to open ski season Friday
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Turkey Trot runners turn out to burn calories despite chilly Pittsburgh temps
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches 800 career points
- Toys for Tots distributor in Butler County searches for home
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant