Prospect watch: Brendan Blair, RB-LB, Sto-Rox
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot, 180 pounds, RB-LB, Sto-Rox
Brendan Blair announced his arrival as a name to be remembered in the 2011 WPIAL Class A final, when the sophomore outside linebacker had two sacks against Clairton at Heinz Field.
“Last year's championship game actually got my name out there because I had a good game,” said Blair, who starred on both sides of the ball for the Vikings as a junior this past fall. “This year's (title) game helped me even more.”
If his name has a familiar ring, it's because of his bloodlines. Former Pitt star and current San Antonio Spurs center DeJuan Blair and University of Cincinnati all-Big East linebacker Greg Blair are first cousins, so don't blame Brendan for dreaming big.
“I talk to them every once in a while. They just tell me to keep doing what I'm doing, to keep working hard and the hard work will pay off eventually,” Blair said. “I'm trying to reach that goal and to get to college, further my education and have a shot at the pros.”
Although Blair rushed for 799 yards and scored a team-best 19 touchdowns for Sto-Rox, he believes his future is on defense. Blair is receiving interest from Akron, Michigan, Missouri, Pitt and Wisconsin, who are looking at him as a potential strong safety.
New Temple coach Matt Rhule has offered former Owls quarterback Adam DiMichele, a Sto-Rox assistant, a chance to join his staff as a graduate assistant coach. This week, Blair learned that Temple also plans to offer him a scholarship, along with Sto-Rox quarterback-cornerback Lenny Williams.
“It's a blessing, for real,” Blair said. “I still don't believe it. It's like a dream. I'm going to take advantage of my opportunities. I'm going to have a big senior season. Trust me, I plan on it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Muslim civil rights group seeks investigation into shooting of Pittsburgh taxi driver
- Community comes together to mourn death of St. Clair police officer
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall