Prospect watch: Gateway's Todd Jeter
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot, 175 pounds, WR-CB, Gateway
The scouting report on Todd Jeter was that he was a Division I talent as a defensive back but didn't have the grades to be eligible. That changed a month ago, after he boosted his SAT score. By then, his only scholarship offers were from FCS Eastern Kentucky and Division II Indiana (Pa.).
His fortune changed this past Tuesday, a day before signing day. That's when former Gateway coach Terry Smith, now the receivers coach at Temple, called with some interesting news. Smith had shown Jeter's highlight tape to Temple's secondary coach, and the Owls were offering Jeter a scholarship.
“I was real excited because it was random,” Jeter said. “I couldn't get the smile off my face. I wanted to play D-I. I took the Temple offer right on the spot, right when he asked me.”
A first-year starter this past fall, Jeter used his 4.5-second speed in the 40-yard dash to create separation at receiver and had 14 receptions for 273 yards and two touchdowns.
Defensively, he jammed opponents at the line of scrimmage and specialized in downfield coverage on defense and had two interceptions, including one against North Allegheny's Mack Leftwich, a UTEP recruit.
Jeter was the lone senior starter in a secondary that featured Division I prospects Anthony Davis, Montae Nicholson and Delvon Randall. Smith had called the group one of the nation's best last fall. On signing day, Jeter awoke at 5 a.m. and was at school by 7, ready to fax his national letter of intent to Temple.
His signing was something of a surprise, as Jeter joined quarterback Thomas Woodson (Akron) and fullback Jaymar Parrish (Pitt) as the third Gator and 19th WPIAL player to sign with a an FBS school.
“I have an opportunity to show how good I am to everybody on a bigger stage,” Jeter said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Penguins GM Rutherford ‘wouldn’t make’ Despres trade today
- Healthy defensive back Mitchell eager for 2nd season with Steelers
- Body found during search for missing man on Youghiogheny
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel
- IRS cybersecurity breach touches lives of homebuyers, others
- Judge lashes UPMC, Highmark in consent decree violation hearing
- Penn Hills teenager charged in New Kensington shooting
- Tenant charged in fire that destroyed Latrobe apartment house
- Plum teacher, held for trial, vows to fight witness intimidation charge
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak