Prospect watch: Montour point guard Devin Wilson
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-4, 180 pounds, PG, Montour
Since Devin Wilson decided to pick basketball over football as his college sport, the Montour two-sport star has doubled his reasons to believe it was the right call.
Wilson has twice as many scholarship offers for basketball than he did for football. George Mason, Hofstra, Rider, Robert Morris, St. Bonaventure, St. Joseph's and Western Michigan want the wiry 6-foot-4 point guard with the cool demeanor.
“Ever since I said that, probably at least five to 10 teams have gotten into the mix,” Wilson said. “It just kind of came into perspective that this is what I want to do and what I can be successful at.”
On Friday night, Wilson tripled the reasons for coaches to recruit him. Actually, make that triple-double.
With Villanova's Jay Wright, St. Joe's Phil Martelli, UNC-Wilmington's Buzz Peterson and George Mason assistant Ronald Houston in attendance, Wilson turned in a 24-point, 10-rebound, 10-assist effort in a PIAA playoff victory over South Fayette.
Wilson was aware the coaches would be there, so he wanted to put on an impressive performance. He delivered one that should put him on the high-major radar.
“All the coaches who were there called me or texted me the day before and said they were coming, so I knew they were going to be there and tried to do the best I could,” said Wilson, who has plans to visit George Mason and St. Joe's. “It's definitely a good feeling. I need to keep my mental focus to see if I can play at a high-major and play at that level. I feel like I can, but that doesn't always mean it's true. I have to see how my game can translate to their level.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Serena Williams wins 6th Australian Open for 19th major title
- Dungy, Greene represent more Steelers ties in hall of fame voting
- Goodell defends league, dodges difficult questions
- Wilkinsburg auto dealer scammed at least 30 people, police say
- Homework: Pittsburgh Home Show to feature celebs, wine and pets