2 Gateway football players commit to Temple
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway's Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift have made plans to reunite with their former high school coach.
The two football recruits gave verbal commitments Saturday to Temple, where former Gators coach Terry Smith now coaches wide receivers. Randall (6-0, 185) was recruited as a wideout, so Smith will be his position coach.
“Having Coach Terry there made me feel comfortable,” Randall said.
Thrift (6-3, 240), who will play defensive end or linebacker, said Smith's presence also influenced his decision.
“That helped a lot, because I know Coach Terry will take care of me,” said Thrift, who had also considered West Virginia. “He'll lead me in the right direction.”
Smith left Gateway in January after 11 seasons as coach. He also recruited current Gateway senior Todd Jeter, a cornerback who signed with Temple in February.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in Northern Arizona University shooting
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Upper St. Clair lifeguard ordered to stand trial for rape of female lifeguard
- Clerical error blamed as Armstrong inmate is released
- Environmental watchdog sues world’s largest steelmaker over Pennsylvania pollution