2 Gateway football players commit to Temple
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway's Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift have made plans to reunite with their former high school coach.
The two football recruits gave verbal commitments Saturday to Temple, where former Gators coach Terry Smith now coaches wide receivers. Randall (6-0, 185) was recruited as a wideout, so Smith will be his position coach.
“Having Coach Terry there made me feel comfortable,” Randall said.
Thrift (6-3, 240), who will play defensive end or linebacker, said Smith's presence also influenced his decision.
“That helped a lot, because I know Coach Terry will take care of me,” said Thrift, who had also considered West Virginia. “He'll lead me in the right direction.”
Smith left Gateway in January after 11 seasons as coach. He also recruited current Gateway senior Todd Jeter, a cornerback who signed with Temple in February.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt to play Notre Dame 5 times over next 11 seasons
- Tomlin: Possible Steelers midseason surge won’t come easy vs. Colts
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Point Breeze couple surprised with 2nd honeymoon by Ellen DeGeneres
- Amid struggles, top fiscal executive to leave EDMC
- Grant to help CMU spinoff start production
- 8 selected thus far for jury in Ferrante trial
- Turnpike accident kills 1
- Beechview man arrested on child pornography charges
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- GCC’s Zambruno, Sewickley Academy’s Li win PIAA golf titles