2 Gateway football players commit to Temple
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway's Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift have made plans to reunite with their former high school coach.
The two football recruits gave verbal commitments Saturday to Temple, where former Gators coach Terry Smith now coaches wide receivers. Randall (6-0, 185) was recruited as a wideout, so Smith will be his position coach.
“Having Coach Terry there made me feel comfortable,” Randall said.
Thrift (6-3, 240), who will play defensive end or linebacker, said Smith's presence also influenced his decision.
“That helped a lot, because I know Coach Terry will take care of me,” said Thrift, who had also considered West Virginia. “He'll lead me in the right direction.”
Smith left Gateway in January after 11 seasons as coach. He also recruited current Gateway senior Todd Jeter, a cornerback who signed with Temple in February.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers linebackers are getting to quarterback with more regularity
- Pirates win bidding for Korean infielder
- No. 18 West Virginia pounds Wofford, 77-44
- Dixon says starters playing too much for Pitt basketball team
- Kids know best: It’s Santa magic
- Penguins rally late but lose to Panthers, 4-3, in shootout
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t ask for taunting clarification from league
- Pitt recruit Whitehead remains committed
- Robert Morris repels winless Delaware, 84-81
- Wear with confidence: Pump up your workout with stylish exercise gear
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings