2 Gateway football players commit to Temple
By Chris Harlan
Published: Saturday, April 13, 2013, 7:09 p.m.
Gateway's Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift have made plans to reunite with their former high school coach.
The two football recruits gave verbal commitments Saturday to Temple, where former Gators coach Terry Smith now coaches wide receivers. Randall (6-0, 185) was recruited as a wideout, so Smith will be his position coach.
“Having Coach Terry there made me feel comfortable,” Randall said.
Thrift (6-3, 240), who will play defensive end or linebacker, said Smith's presence also influenced his decision.
“That helped a lot, because I know Coach Terry will take care of me,” said Thrift, who had also considered West Virginia. “He'll lead me in the right direction.”
Smith left Gateway in January after 11 seasons as coach. He also recruited current Gateway senior Todd Jeter, a cornerback who signed with Temple in February.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kovacevic: Bylsma’s moves — yes, moves — pay off
- Penguins rally to escape with a victory in Game 1 against Columbus
- Physical Columbus team is a hit in playoff opener against Penguins
- Obama hopes to replicate CCAC job training efforts across United States
- Police see no sign Franklin Regional stabbing suspect was bullied
- US Airways’ pornographic tweet won’t cost anyone a job
- Valley News Dispatch Spotlight Athletes: Fox Chapel’s Brandon Mitchell, Burrell’s Melissa Mazzei
- Retired postal worker picks $1M winner
- Charleroi Regional makes 3 drug arrests
- First Federal, Community Bank join
- Play of the game: Sutter’s goal completes rally