2 Gateway football players commit to Temple
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway's Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift have made plans to reunite with their former high school coach.
The two football recruits gave verbal commitments Saturday to Temple, where former Gators coach Terry Smith now coaches wide receivers. Randall (6-0, 185) was recruited as a wideout, so Smith will be his position coach.
“Having Coach Terry there made me feel comfortable,” Randall said.
Thrift (6-3, 240), who will play defensive end or linebacker, said Smith's presence also influenced his decision.
“That helped a lot, because I know Coach Terry will take care of me,” said Thrift, who had also considered West Virginia. “He'll lead me in the right direction.”
Smith left Gateway in January after 11 seasons as coach. He also recruited current Gateway senior Todd Jeter, a cornerback who signed with Temple in February.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in 43-19 preseason loss at Bills
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Boys soccer preview: Fresh of winning Section 1-AAA title, Penn-Trafford boys hope to maintain momentum with new coach
- Pitt’s cancer institute marks 30 years with eye toward future
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Shale gas violations down as DEP steps up inspections
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Pa. Game Commission wants fee hikes, must convince sportsmen to buy in
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- Alle-Kiski Valley municipalities to re-evaluate how to pay for police protection