2 Gateway football players commit to Temple
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway's Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift have made plans to reunite with their former high school coach.
The two football recruits gave verbal commitments Saturday to Temple, where former Gators coach Terry Smith now coaches wide receivers. Randall (6-0, 185) was recruited as a wideout, so Smith will be his position coach.
“Having Coach Terry there made me feel comfortable,” Randall said.
Thrift (6-3, 240), who will play defensive end or linebacker, said Smith's presence also influenced his decision.
“That helped a lot, because I know Coach Terry will take care of me,” said Thrift, who had also considered West Virginia. “He'll lead me in the right direction.”
Smith left Gateway in January after 11 seasons as coach. He also recruited current Gateway senior Todd Jeter, a cornerback who signed with Temple in February.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Elsie Hillman, philanthropist and one-time GOP powerhouse, dies at 89
- Youngwood to purchase swing, table to satisfy state regulations
- Junction project on Interstate 70 at New Stanton exchange to begin
- Spirit ending nonstop flights from Arnold Palmer Regional to Chicago, Las Vegas
- Blairsville man killed in single-vehicle crash in Derry Township
- Murrysville oncologist says he had necessary permits to hunt, kill lion
- Philadelphia firm to defend Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority in lawsuit
- Westmoreland Co. businessman going to prison
- Zimbabwe alleges Murrysville doctor illegally killed lion
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return