2 Gateway football players commit to Temple
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway's Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift have made plans to reunite with their former high school coach.
The two football recruits gave verbal commitments Saturday to Temple, where former Gators coach Terry Smith now coaches wide receivers. Randall (6-0, 185) was recruited as a wideout, so Smith will be his position coach.
“Having Coach Terry there made me feel comfortable,” Randall said.
Thrift (6-3, 240), who will play defensive end or linebacker, said Smith's presence also influenced his decision.
“That helped a lot, because I know Coach Terry will take care of me,” said Thrift, who had also considered West Virginia. “He'll lead me in the right direction.”
Smith left Gateway in January after 11 seasons as coach. He also recruited current Gateway senior Todd Jeter, a cornerback who signed with Temple in February.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New movie studio coming to McKees Rocks
- Ex-judge in Philadelphia charged with bribery, conspiracy in sting case
- Allegheny County D.A.’s office rounding up drug suspects
- One Direction bring 2015 stadium tour to Heinz Field
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Finnbogi Petursson’s ‘Second/Second’ addresses the connection of water, sound, frequency
- Bell Acres police investigate attempted child luring
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- West Allegheny updating elementary schools
- Judge orders W.Va. agency to release pollution data
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol