2 Gateway football players commit to Temple
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway's Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift have made plans to reunite with their former high school coach.
The two football recruits gave verbal commitments Saturday to Temple, where former Gators coach Terry Smith now coaches wide receivers. Randall (6-0, 185) was recruited as a wideout, so Smith will be his position coach.
“Having Coach Terry there made me feel comfortable,” Randall said.
Thrift (6-3, 240), who will play defensive end or linebacker, said Smith's presence also influenced his decision.
“That helped a lot, because I know Coach Terry will take care of me,” said Thrift, who had also considered West Virginia. “He'll lead me in the right direction.”
Smith left Gateway in January after 11 seasons as coach. He also recruited current Gateway senior Todd Jeter, a cornerback who signed with Temple in February.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger hurting after big hit
- Pennsylvania fiscal officers say budget in dire situation
- Former Pirates pitcher Tekulve doing well after heart transplant
- Official: Suspect identified in police ambush
- Pitt football coach Chryst refutes analyst Wannstedt’s opinion
- Steelers’ Brown combats disruptive defensive ploys
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Crosby appreciates his relationship with Penguins fans
- Utah man admits role in plan to ship 239 pounds of marijuana out of New Castle
- Pennsylvania Senator wants to arm school teachers, employees
- Windber man pleads to stealing from church’s African fund