Trib Prospect: Gateway's Anthony Davis
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When it comes to playing cornerback, Anthony Davis has a reputation for being a ball hawk. Or ball hog.
Davis made up for not playing offense by getting his hands on the ball on defense last season. His seven interceptions were tied for most in the WPIAL.
“I'm aggressive. I like to hit a lot,” Davis said. “And I think I have pretty good ball skills. I like to go up and get interceptions and run them back.”
Lately, Davis has been picking off scholarship offers. He has 17, including Boston College, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech and Vanderbilt.
But three stand out for the Gateway defensive back, who was selected to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 25.
“My top three right now is West Virginia, Temple and Penn State,” Davis said, noting the Mountaineers like him at safety and the others at corner.
“I just really liked West Virginia when I went down there to the game. It had good atmosphere and coaches. Temple, our old head coach (Terry Smith) went there and I really liked that he's the Pa. recruiter. Penn State, I really liked it up there and the education is really good there and my family likes it, too.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in 43-19 preseason loss at Bills
- Walk-off single moves Pennsylvania team into LLWS title game
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Shale gas violations down as DEP steps up inspections
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Shaler man’s effort restores glory to flag display at Millvale post office
- MLB notebook: Dodgers voice Scully set to end 67-year run in 2016
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Beirut protests grow as summer garbage crisis lingers
- Man arrested in deputy’s ambush