Trib Prospect: Gateway's Anthony Davis
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When it comes to playing cornerback, Anthony Davis has a reputation for being a ball hawk. Or ball hog.
Davis made up for not playing offense by getting his hands on the ball on defense last season. His seven interceptions were tied for most in the WPIAL.
“I'm aggressive. I like to hit a lot,” Davis said. “And I think I have pretty good ball skills. I like to go up and get interceptions and run them back.”
Lately, Davis has been picking off scholarship offers. He has 17, including Boston College, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech and Vanderbilt.
But three stand out for the Gateway defensive back, who was selected to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 25.
“My top three right now is West Virginia, Temple and Penn State,” Davis said, noting the Mountaineers like him at safety and the others at corner.
“I just really liked West Virginia when I went down there to the game. It had good atmosphere and coaches. Temple, our old head coach (Terry Smith) went there and I really liked that he's the Pa. recruiter. Penn State, I really liked it up there and the education is really good there and my family likes it, too.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Oncologists wary of scaled-back guidelines in cancer screenings
- Cal (Pa.) softball loses slugfest; season comes to an end
- Early success in White House race a pleasant surprise for Carson
- 4 dogs found dead in Beechview home; woman charged
- Saudi King Salman vows retribution for suicide attack on mosque
- Posthumous election wins have happened in Western Pa., nation
- Photo Gallery: The Zac Brown Band kicks off summer with First Niagara show
- Neighbor arrested after McKeesport house fire, authorities say
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets